Chapter 10

Sophia’s POV

The last few days have been great.   Knox has been so wonderful, apparently not all men are complete assholes like my ex.    And he is so great with Ella.   I have seen her smile more these last few days then I have in a really long time.  

She absolutely loved the picnic Knox took us on, so much so that we went on another one the next day.  It warmed my heart to hear her quietly giggle to herself as Noah chased her around the field.  

It worried me that she still has not talked yet.   Physically we were both healing and doing better.   In another couple weeks our casts come off.   But emotionally, I pray that she will be able to move on from all that has happened to us.  

Sitting on one of the benches outside in the garden area, I watched as Ella played with Noah.   He chatted non-stop, trying to break her silence.  I have to admit he really was a good boy.    He rarely left her side and she seemed to depend on him, more so than me.    I guess she just needs him more, especially when you can’t even rely on your own mother to keep you safe.

The guilt of failing to keep her safe weighed heavily on my heart.   How does a little girl get over what her father did to her?   He was her father, a man who should have protected her, not hurt her.   I should have been stronger for her.  

As her mother, I failed…

I didn’t realize that I was crying until the tears ran down my face and fell to my hands that were resting in my lap.   I hurt, oh god do I hurt.   My heart hurt...

Noah gaze met my eyes and he gave me a small smile before returning his attention to Ella.   Using my sleeve I wiped away my tears.  I didn’t want Ella to see me.  

Suddenly strong arms circled my shoulder and pulled me into a very muscular chest.

Stiffening for a second, I realized that Noah that little sneak must have called for his dad.

“Oh sweetheart, I am here.   Tell me why you are crying, please – it breaks my heart to see you in so much pain.”

Wrapping my arms around Knox’s shoulders I whispered to him that I didn’t want Ella to see me like this.   Reaching down under my knees he lifted me up and began walking to the house.   Oh how I loved to be in his arms.   I felt so safe and I realized that it has been a very long time since I felt this way.   That knowledge cause the tears to fall faster.  

Knox gently laid me down on his bed and climbed in next to me.   “Okay baby, we are all alone and Noah has watch over Ella, so tell me what is wrong.”

I just couldn’t hold it in any more so I let it all out.   I needed to lean on someone.   The pain, the guilt, the terror that still crippled me.  How my ex got off on abusing and raping me.   How after we married he started to change and then he slowly began to threaten and control me.   For a bit while I was pregnant he physically left me alone, but still belittled me constantly.   Then when Ella was about a year old, he returned from an assignment a completely different man.   Stronger, more domineering, more abusive than ever.