Chapter Forty Three

Olivia Thorne

Near midnight several hours after both my mom went to bed and Adrian disappeared though I suspect he did the same, I lie awake in bed with one of the books Adrian had bought for me specifically Far From The Maddening Crowd by Thomas Hardy, though even the pages of a novel can't lull my mind asleep.

I wonder if he's still up?

My damn subconscious is going to do this to me now, I'm trying to go to sleep and it's curious if Adrian is awake still which is likely impossible, the man has a way of falling asleep on his own will.

You could just see.

My brain will be the reason I end up in situations I can't excuse myself from.

Getting out of the bed I pull on a grey soft robe, one I suspect Adrian specially stocked my room with.

I then walk down the hallway and pass four more guest bedrooms before I reach the doors at the end of the hallway, and had I not seen the silver door handles I would have walked into them.

Pulling open one of the doors slowly I peek inside and I can see Adrian asleep on his giant bed, looking peaceful and calm.

He seems so worry free in his sleep something that he isn't always when awake, between Nico tracking where Demetri and the gang that Adrian used to be the head of, and him having a very strict daily schedule, I'm actually sure night is the only time he escapes it.

Nearing his bed he lies diagonally across it with one arm beneath the neighboring pillow, and the other on top of the grey black metallic blanket.

He's not a small person but the Wyoming King Sized bed makes him seem like he is, he doesn't even take up half the mattress.

You could fall asleep next to him he'd never know.

My invasive subconscious adds.

Before I can act on it I walk towards the door, but before I can reach for the door handle I hear him move.

Shit, I woke him.

"Don't go" he says sleepily and I turn, and the moon light from the tall windows that wrap around half of the room shine light across his dark handsome features.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to wake you?" I say biting my lip.

"Don't apologize you don't have to also I can tell your biting your lip" he says pulling the blanket away from him so he could sit on the edge of his bed.

"I didn't know how you'd react to me being in here" I say truthfully.

"I have nothing to hide, plus I said you can come in my room whenever you like" he says and sleep alone is making his voice sound huskier.

"Yes you did, but I should let you sleep".

He smiles and a shadow from how he's sitting hides half his face.

"Stay, it's not like you haven't before".

I nod because words are failing me right now, I can't speak even if I wanted to.

Walking around to the side of the bed I lift the other side before taking the robe off and folding it.

"Where's your closet I can't see terribly well right now" I say, and I hear him press a button that makes a soft click before the lamp on his side lights up making everything clearer.

"Let there be light" he mutters as he lies back down on the bed and closes his eyes.

I then push open the doors and I'm greeted with a neatly organized shade filled closet aside from some dark navy blue.