"They're?"

Thursday

The black body bags were taken away into the ambulance. You sat on your front steps shocked and horrified about what just happened.

You saw Dewey's cop car pull up and join the others. Tatum came running out of the side door and ran up to you.

"Oh my gosh!" She sat down besides you and gave you a big hug. "This mother fucker is going to be stopped. How are you holding up?" She asked wiping a tear from your cheek.

You were about to respond when your parents pulled up and ran over to you.

"Sweetie, we are so sorry we weren't here for you." You stood up and gave your parents each a hug. "This is unbelievable." Your mom gasped.

"We're going to keep you safe." Your dad gave you a reassuring smile. "And I think we have a good way to do that."

You looked at them puzzled.

"We think it would be a good idea to keep you at the Riley house for the time being. The killer won't expect it and Dwight can watch over you while you're there." Your mom said. She always called Dewey Dwight, thinking it was more acceptable.

"We've discussed it with him and he agrees as long as it's fine by you."

Tatum got up from the stairs and stood by you.

"Is that okay with you?" Your dad asked.

"Yeah, I think it's a good idea." You agreed. Even if you believed you would be safe there or not, it was a good idea to throw the killer off. If he can't find you, he can't kill you.

"Where will you guys be staying? The house isn't safe for any of us." You asked.

"A friend of ours gave us their spare room. We thought it might be good for you, put it didn't have the police protection of Dwight."

A few goodbyes were said and hugs shared. Then you watched your parents drive away to their friends place. It occurred to you that that could be the last conversation you spoke to them but then decided it was best not to think like that.

After grabbing a few things from your house, Tatum walked with you to Dewey's car and the two of you got in the back seat. Dewey finished talking with a few other deputies and drove both of you back to the Riley residence.

Tatum helped you settle in and Mrs. Riley gave you some fruit to snack on. You went out to the front porch for some fresh air. You sat on the bench swing, which made you remember all the times you, Sidney and Tate played out here.

Dewey walked out onto the front porch and sat down beside you on the swing. He handed you a cup of what smelled like hot chocolate, and took a sip from his cup.

"Sheriff Burke is cursing himself for hiring those guys to protect you." He scoffed.

"I should have known, I'm a death curse."

"It's not that, he thinks if he would have hired the original pair he was thinking of, they wouldn't have died." Dewey gave you a reassuring smile. "You're not a death curse."

"I sure feel like one."

"You're safe here. I want you to know that." He rubbed a hand on the back of his neck.

"Of course I know that. I've got Deputy Dewey to protect me." You giggled.

"Yeah whatever." Dewey smiled and pulled you into a hug.

The two of you sat there for awhile, your head was resting on his chest and his arm was wrapped around you. He was talking about some crazy case he had when he first became a police officer. He stopped midsentence and looked up, you followed his gaze.

Stu was standing on the porch steps. "Did you catch your guy Deputy Dewey?" He asked, pretended to be interested.

"Nope, I never did." Dewey laughed awkwardly. "I'll be inside if you need me." He patted your leg and left the two of you alone.

"Remember when you said I would get body guards to protect me?" You asked Stu. "Well I certainly got them."

"I never said they would protect you, I just said you would get them." He laughed. "How was I supposed to know they'd get gutted?" Stu walked over and sat beside you on the swing.

"Besides, I think this is a good thing."

"How the fuck do you think it's a good thing?" You asked, giving him a shocked look.

"The killer could have totally killed you if he wanted to but instead he chopped up those poor guys." Stu shook his head in fake remorse.

"And you think that's a good thing?" You questioned.

"Yeah, they're making it clear you're the final girl."

You hesitated. "But what if I don't want to be the final girl?"

"Are you fucked up right now?" Stu joked. "Why wouldn't you. I mean man, if only I was a girl." He laughed.

"Stu, everyone around the final girl dies. What's the point of making it out alive if everyone you've ever loved is dead?"

Stu was silent.

"Because at least I would be alive, I might not exactly be kicking it, but I'd be alive." He finally said.

"They're?" You asked after a short pause.

"What?" Stu asked.

"You said 'they're making it clear', like there is two of them." You turned to face him.

"I said 'they're' meaning could be boy or girl." Stu said quickly.

"You were pretty sure the other day, it was a man."

"Well I've had a change of heart."

"Oh really? What would that have been?" You asked, rolling your eyes as if Stu could never change his thought that easily.

"After I heard about how you kicked the shit out of the fucker. I realized girls can be pretty fucking strong." He laughed.

"It's a guy though." You said, thinking back to how he was built and the sounds he made when you would beat him. It at least sounded like a male, and the phone calls as well. 

"Yeah no shit."

A/n

Next chapter is when it all goes down, and I'm going to drag it out so you can get more interesting things to read.

Also I really hope you guys are enjoying the book so far. More Stu scenes are coming, as promised :-)