Can't sleep - NR

I'm writing this because I can't sleep and I probably should be sticking to my promise I made that I'd try to sleep... but here we are.. Reader is 16 (NOT NAT'S DAUGHTER).

Warnings: Swearing, insomnia, sadness. I'm back to my sadness because that's all I am so yeah I'm fucked up.. :)

All rights reserved! This is my own story!

Y/N's POV:

This is the... I'm not sure how many nights now, that I haven't slept. My eyes constantly have bags and I look like a zombie because of how weak and tired I am. However, no matter how hard I try to close my eyes and go to sleep I can't. It's beginning to get even more exhausting to even try to sleep at this point. Every night I find myself doing the same thing. Tossing and turning for hours then giving up at around 3am to just cry because there's nothing better to do.

I walked downstairs and I was greeted by the infamous red-head sat at the kitchen island eating some fruit for breakfast. "Y/N, hey I made you some.." She said passing me a bowl of fruit for myself. "Are you okay? You look a bit pale, sweetheart.." she said whilst pressing her hand up against my forehead; I'm guessing to feel my temperature. I was quick to rip her hand away and she looked almost shocked at my actions. "I feel fine, Natasha." I replied bluntly.

Exhaustion coated every word I said and made me sound so disinterested in almost every conversation I have with people. As me and Natasha are eating in silence her phone goes off getting both of ours attention. "Well fuck.." she said under her breath. "What's wrong?". "The others are caught up in there mission and are sending more agents to go down and I've been put on babysitting duty. So I guess it's just me and you for a while.." she said with a light smile. I didn't take very kindly to her words at all though. "Babysitting duty? What am I just a job to you Nat?" I ask her angrily, my pupils were sharp except my body physically ached for sleep. "What- no.. sweetheart that's not what I meant.." She said apologetically.

Now I must say I'm a drama queen even when I'm not tired but even more so when I am tired. So Nat's first mistake was trying to apologise and putting her hand on my shoulder. I gripped her hand forcefully and held it in an uncomfortable position for her. I know she wouldn't let me hurt her physically but I could see in her eyes I had hurt her emotionally. "I'm sorry Y-Y/N.. Please let go of me and we can go for a talk yeah?" She grabbed my hand, slower this time trying not to startle me. "That's it sweetheart, let's go for a walk now yeah. Around the outside of the tower?" I nodded in response and I notice that she wouldn't be letting go of my arm after my outburst.

If there's one thing you should know about Natasha is that she cares for everyone even if she doesn't tell it to you she does things to show you. The act of her not letting go of my arm showed to me that she didn't want me to go out of her sight in case I decided to leg it or leave to lock myself in my room which I have often done in the past when faced with a difficult situation.

"Want to tell me what was happening earlier?" Nat asked me as we were walking. "Not really.." I say trying to avoid all eye contact with her so that she couldn't survey my face and determine the problem. "Have you been eating and sleeping enough..?" She questioned me. Shit. What the fuck do I do now? Lie to a super spy? Yes that's exactly what I do. "Yeahh I guess I'm just a bit hormonal." I say looking at the floor. She didn't seem convinced as she only hummed in response after furrowing her eyebrows at me.

The rest of the day was quiet and then It was soon 11pm. The time for bed. I made my way up to my room and just sighed looking at my bed. It had become so hard to get comfortable. No matter what position I lay in, it just doesn't feel right and if anything it feels unnatural. Before I knew it, I was getting frustrated with myself with not being able to just fall asleep.

Nat's POV:

What Y/N doesn't know that after she went to bed and locked her door, I got a chair and sat outside her room. I know she hasn't been sleeping the best because of the bags under her eyes, she's a lot weaker in training, her reaction times aren't as quick and she gets restless easily. Not to mention the random outburst of anger earlier this morning.

It really didn't take me long to realise I was right. It had come to 2:34am when I started to hear crying from inside Y/N's room. I quietly began picking the lock and I was not prepared for the sight that I was about to see. All I saw was Y/N curled up into a ball crying into her pillow whilst she cursed herself by whispering things like 'Why can't I just fucking sleep.' 'I want to just be normal like everyone else and sleep.' ' I wish someone would hold me till I fell asleep'. That last sentence was all i needed to get into bed next to her.

Her tired eyes widened at me and she began to try and scramble away but I know that if I held her she would eventually calm her down so I gently, but very firmly kept a good hold of her arms. She was trying to hit me off of her, kick me anything she could do to get me away she was doing. I decided to just pull her into my chest. "Listen to my heartbeat, sweetheart. Calm yourself down okay? relax..." I whispered to her whilst stroking her hair. I know that everyone has a different way of telling someone they love them and Y/N knows someone loves them when she gives them the okay to stroke her hair. Her body instantly relaxed into mine.

"That's it, Y/N. I'm not leaving. I'm right here, sweetheart.." I continued. I know that reassuring her that I was gonna keep her safe would relax her even more. Soon enough she closed her eyes and I continued to stroke her hair.

It'd been about 20 minutes and I myself had become tired and that's when I heard light snores coming from Y/N. Now I know I can sleep happy with the knowledge that she's asleep.