Chapter - 34

Finally, after putting on my dress and sitting idly for the makeup artist to do her job, I looked at myself in the mirror

Finally, after putting on my dress and sitting idly for the makeup artist to do her job, I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked prettier. Today I am going to get engaged to Harshad. Yes, I am going to be his fiancee. I sighed thinking about this.

“Actually no makeup is needed for you, Ma'am. You look beautiful without that."

“But what can I do? It's my engagement right?" We chuckled and just then the door of my room opened revealing Alice.

“I am ready Nandi---" She paused and was staring at me. “My God! You are looking fucking beautiful my girl." She made me stand and scanned me from top to bottom. “You look stunning!"

“Thank you, Alice." I simply smiled and she turned towards the girl who did my makeup. She appreciated her work and the girl mumbled a thank you.

“Ok, Ma'am. If you are satisfied then I will leave now."

“Of course I am totally satisfied Drishti. Thank you for coming." She bowed her head slightly and left my room. I had texted Indulekha to come straight to my room. She and Anirudh got stuck in the traffic so they will be late.

I sat on the bed and played with the tip of my shawl. At that moment I remembered my first engagement. The day when Leonardo slid the ring on my finger. I had thrown it somewhere when I escaped his house even though it was very expensive. But today I am officially getting engaged. I glanced at Alice who was doing different poses in front of the mirror. She borrowed my dress to wear and she can't contain her happiness after wearing an Indian attire for the first time.

Our gaze shifted to the door when a knock was heard. Alice went and opened the door. It was my mother. “Hi, aunty. Nandita is finally ready." She moved aside and mummy came and sat beside me.

“I saw Drishti. She said her work is done so I thought of coming here. Are you nervous?"

“No mummy. I am good. Anyway I know I have to go through this." I sighed. She placed her hand on mine.

“I know it beta. But I hope you won't be sad. Try your level best to ignore your past. From today onwards you are entering another phase of your life. So you should think positive. Okay?" I nodded and she smiled. That moment chachi came and informed mummy that pappa is calling. She went and chachi admired me and Alice.