Chapter - 41

I entered the church

I entered the church. Father was ahead of me. I got mesmerized seeing the interior design. Beautiful!
Father occupied one of the benches on the front row. I sat opposite him. He took a deep breath and sighed.

“So how is your new house and in-laws?"

“ I am trying to accept my new phase of life. You know it's not so easy to cope with a sudden change. New house, new people."

“Yeah. You are right. I have met his aunt and brother. They both are nice people. They visit us whenever possible. But Harshad visits us mostly."

“That's because he loves the company of the kids."

“Yeah. And that's how the depression in him was gone."

“I know it father. He lost his parents and---"

“He attempted suicide!"

“WHAT?" I couldn't believe my ears. Harshad tried to end his life. No way!

“It's hard to believe that Harshad will do such a thing. But he tried to end his life not even thinking about his brother and aunt."

“How do you know it, father?"

“His father left behind a huge responsibility. His company. Ahuja Industries. Harshad couldn't handle his and his father's company at first. He witnessed a huge loss in his company and he thought that he can't take care of everything. So he decided to end his life one night."

Father paused and exhaled sharply and looked at the statue of Jesus. “But God didn't want him to die so soon. He became his saviour. I saw him in his miserable state!" He then shifted his gaze back to me. “There is a bridge if you go to the west side. I was coming back after going to my brother's house and I stopped when I saw him leaning on the bridge. I had an unusual feeling that his way of looking down is not good.

I walked towards him slowly and as I expected, he climbed on it and was about to jump but I caught him on time. He resisted but I struggled hard and made him stand on the ground. He screamed at me for spoiling his plan but I stayed calm and allowed him to do so. Later when I saw him relax a bit, I looked here and there and felt relieved that nobody was watching us.

I took him here and asked him to stay here for one day. Because I didn't want him to go like that to his house. He agreed though he was hesitant at first. I asked few questions about his family and he answered me. I prayed for him that night. And next morning, after breakfast I took him to the orphanage. He stared at the kids blankly. But I had a purpose to show him the little ones. I said that each child doesn't know about their parents. Some are abandoned while some are homeless.

But we will tell them the truth at the right moment. At first, few kids will feel sad after seeing children of their age walking with their parents but later they realised that they have a huge family here. A father, a sister, caretakers, friends. So now they all are happy with whatever they have.