Chapter - 69

Leonardo didn't show up for a couple of days after the threat

Leonardo didn't show up for a couple of days after the threat. I know how powerful he is and can do anything to harm my family if I go against him. I heard from Mia that he had gone to take care of his illegal business and won't show up for a week. I was happy to know that. That way I won't see the devil's face. Otherwise, I will lose control of my mind.

Most of the time, I killed my time with the books. The library gave me inner peace and I was able to read books of my favourite authors. Aurora came often to give me company. She was a good person, like her brother. If she could do anything for me to reach Harshad she would have done that earlier. But I know she is helpless. Elena and Angelica didn't interact with me after the incident. Alessandra went to stay with Vincenzo.

At present, I was sitting on the giant armchair and reading a book. I was so immersed in it that I failed to realise the presence of another person. I got startled when I heard the door being closed. I looked up to see the youngest member of the Martinelli family, Alessandro.

"Hey lady. Sorry to disturb you. Would you mind if I join you?"

"No. But can you open the door?"

"Yeah, sure." He did as said.

"This library is my empire. I haven't been here because of family work. Now I am back." He sounded like a small boy who got his new toy car.

Even though we hadn't talked to each other before, I found him the cutest one in this family when I saw him on the day Leonardo kidnapped me. He took his place opposite my chair and I saw the book he was holding. It's a fantasy one.

"You can resume your reading. I won't disturb you."

"Ok, but can I ask you one thing?"

"Go ahead."

"You are the youngest here. But you also do Mafia things."

"Yeah because I am born into this family."

"You don't have another option?"

"No. If you don't want to lead a Mafia life then you have to leave this country and earn for yourself. I prefer to stay here because no matter what I have a strong bond with each one here. Not only me. But everyone. We do have fights, have different opinions but at the end, we will stay together to fight against the evils."

"But you won't feel any kind of emotion when you see a person dead?"

"I heard that you are a doctor. Do you always feel sad when you see a dead person?"

"No. Not every time."

"That's my answer too."

"But I won't kill people. We try to save as much as we can."

He let out a chuckle and kept the book on the table beside. Now he was staring at me. "I do feel sorry. But some people deserve the death. We don't kill the traitors when they are caught. We will punish them and give them a chance to rectify the mistake. But if they refuse then we don't think more. See we are not cruel as you think. We give a chance even to our arch-rivals. We could have killed them all long before but it's not good to stay without enemies." He smirked and took the book to read. I stared at him unable to believe what I just heard.

They are cruel! Don't believe him Nandita.

I glanced back to the page I was reading. I didn't wish to continue the conversation.

*****

I stepped out of the mansion and headed towards the garden. I wanted to sit alone hearing the sounds of the birds and allowing the breeze to touch my body. I kept walking till I found a place to sit. I smelled the air and exhaled out deeply. A smile crept on my face as I observed my surroundings. A peaceful atmosphere.

A memory flashed through my mind that instant. A sweet memory of spending a day with Harshad once we went to stay with my parents. That time, I was two months pregnant.

<Flashback>

"Nannu?"

"Yup."

"Your garden is so beautiful. I mean I won't get bored if I spend a whole alone here."

"We all have the same opinion Harshad. I don't know how many times I had spent here with my brothers when I was little."

He reached out his hand and placed it on my tummy. "When our cutipie comes to this world, we can bring her here."

"Her? Are you sure that it's a girl?"

"I think so because Masi told me that a pregnant woman will look more beautiful if she is carrying a baby girl. My Nannu is becoming more and more beautiful every day. So I am sure we are gonna have a little Nannu." He smiled.

"Fine. But what if it's a boy?"

He sighed and took my hand on his. "Boy or girl I want a healthy baby. And you to be okay after your delivery. And later we will live like a happy family." We laughed. I hugged him.

"Thank you Harshad. I am always grateful for everything you're doing for me despite knowing the truth." We glanced at each other with a smile.

<Flashback ends>

I didn't realise that I was crying until I felt the teardrops on my hand. I wiped it off and got up to go back. It's almost becoming dark and Valentina will come looking for me. I ambled towards the mansion. When I got inside, I saw Aurora on her phone. She seemed excited. She put her gaze on me for a second and gestured to wait.

After ending the call, she rushed towards me and embraced me. "Hey what are you so excited about?" I asked after we broke the hug.

"Nandita good news!"

"What is it?"

"I am gonna become an aunt. Alessandra is pregnant." She said with a wide smile on her face.

"Oh really?" That's great!" I mumbled.

She engulfed me again. I was partially happy because even though I didn't mend my relationship with Alessandra, I am happy for her cause she is going to experience motherhood like me. But I feel pity for the unborn baby because he/she is going to be born in a Mafia family. The baby will be brought up as a Mafia.

*****

Hey guys

☞How was the chapter?

☞Will Nandita become friendly with Alessandra like before?

☞Should she forgive Alessandra?