7. The dinner

Saptarshi's pov

I saw Aratrika talking with a man. I walked towards them and stood in the distance. She was saying something to him which was inaudible to me.

After some time the man went away and Aratrika turned around. Our eyes met and she froze in her place.

She looked at my face and immediately looked down. Without saying anything, She went inside the house through the back door.

I frowned in confusion . What just happened?

Suddenly my phone rang. I picked it up without looking at the caller id.

"Hello..." I said.
"Where are you dude? Come inside. " Hearing the voice ,I understood that it was Priyansh.

"I was on a call...yes I am coming back." I said and cut the call.

I went inside the house and joined others.

"So what have you decided to do?" Mr. Brijesh asked Uncle (Akash's father).

"Excuse me everyone. " Suporno's voice caught our attention.

"What is it?" Mrs Sudeshna asked her son.

"Why didn't anyone call Aru here? We are going to take an important decision about her sister's life....but you didn't bother to call her here." Suporno said. I could see how he was trying to control his anger.

"Actually, widows shouldn't be present in any auspicious discussion. That's why we didn't call her." Mrs Binita said.

If only they knew what their widow daughter was doing behind their back!! She is meeting that unknown man behind their back...that means something is definitely there.

What I have learnt is that she doesn't do any job so she will not have any work mate...moreover why would she meet someone secretly if he was her friend or colleague?

"Binita,I think you should call your daughter...it's not her fault in being a widow....moreover she is such a young girl,sometimes maybe she also desires to enjoy life like us....
Moreover, a widow being in auspicious function is bad luck; this is just a myth. She is also a human and that bad luck thing is a just restriction which society brought to keep women under their feet and disrespect them.
Standing here in the 20th century, this kind of thought doesn't make any sense.
It's her sister's wedding ,I think we shouldn't make her feel left out like this....please don't keep her inside....tell her to join us." Aunty(Akash's mother) said.

Mrs Binita put on a fake smile and sent Kanika to bring her here.

After some time ,Aratrika came and stood beside her sister,Kanika silently.

"How are you ,Aratrika?" Aunty asked .

She looked startled but composed herself. "I am fine Aunty.Thank you." She said softly.

I shook my head.

After sometime Mrs Sudeshna came with tea and snacks and served us.

I took my tea and took a sip. Trust me,I never had such wonderful tea in my life. Everything was perfect in it ...be it the amount of milk....the sweetness and the flavour.

"Wow..the tea tastes awesome, thank you." Aunty praised me.

"Yes...my daughter Smita makes wonderful tea." Mr Biplob said proudly.

When Everyone was planning the wedding and pre-wedding rituals,I was observing Aratrika who stood in the corner silently.

See,how shy and soft-spoken...so naive and innocent!!! Is she seriously like this or is it just a facade?
I don't know but I think that she isn't what she looks....