8. The Guests

Aratrika's pov 

I was in a deep sleep when suddenly a knock at my balcony door started to disturb my sleep.

I woke up and looked at the clock with my sleepy eyes.

"Raat 3 ter somoy ke emon korche?( Who is doing this at 3 am?)" I said to myself.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes to wash off my sleep.

Once again I heard a knock and  I asked playfully as I thought it was Dada,"Who is this?" 

"It's me," 

Hearing the  gruff voice,my sleep ran out of the window.

Suddenly I started to shake in fear. I didn't want to open the door.

I just hope he isn't the one whom I think he is.

Once again I heard the knock,followed by his voice,"Do you want me to break the door ? Open the door if you don't want me to break the door." 

I stood up from the bed and walked towards the door with my shaky legs. 

I stood in front of the door,contemplating my decision . 

Hearing the harsh knock once again,I opened the door.
As soon as I opened the door,I came face to face to the man whom I wanted to erase from my life. 

"You." I said in a shaky voice.

I sat up with a jerk as soon as I heard the alarm .

I looked around to see the light coming from the window. My eyes fell on the clock and saw that it was 6:30 am.

I wiped my tears and sweat and kept my hand on my chest to feel my accelerated heart beat.

"Thank god...it was just a nightmare...not a reality." I said to myself. 

Without wasting any time, I stood up and went inside the washroom to complete my morning chores and bathing. 
.
.
.
I went inside the kitchen to see Jethi  there. She was making tea.

"Esechis..jak valo hoeche….jol-khabar r tiffin ta ebar banano suru kore de..(You came...it's good...start preparing the breakfast and tiffin.) " Jethi ma said as she started to pour the tea in the cups.

I nodded and started to do my work. 
.
.
.
"Ki holo ta ki ? Aaj ki breakfast ta pabo !!!! 9:30 ta toh beje gelo.(What happened? Will We get breakfast today? It's already 9:30 am.) " I heard Jethu shouting.

I took the food to the dining hall and kept it on the table.

"Haven't you done yet? Why are you always late? Can't you see the Time?" Maa shouted at me. She and Jethi ma started to serve the food.

"I am sorry...it's...it's just…" 

Before I could complete my sentence, Smita cut it off,"What just!!!! I am getting late for my work…..don't you know? Just because you don't have any work to do and stay at home the whole day doesn't mean that everyone is jobless like you are." 

"I think you are forgetting that she does every household work ---cooking, laundry and not to forget the works of the gardens as well. She works more than any of us. So next time,think before you speak." Dada said in a stern voice. Smita rolled her eyes at him.

"Please Dada,stop taking her side always…..she is not someone very special ...moreover she is doing work for her own house only so there is nothing for which you are giving her so much credit ." Kanika said .

"Eat silently…" Baba said sternly.

Everyone stopped and started to eat.

"Oh I forgot to inform you all that Promita is going to come with her husband and son today. They will have their lunch here." Jethu said.

This news made me shiver in fear.

 Promita is my Pishi ( father's sister) . I am afraid because she and her husband are more harsh towards me than others. They never leave a chance to insult me and degrade me. I really don't like them coming here.

"Wow..it's great news. Aratrika,go and prepare the guest room for them. Then you have to start making lunch." Maa said.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't listen to her.

Maa shook me by my shoulder and said,"Do you need an invitation card ? Go...do your work." 

I nodded and left. 

I went towards the guest room. Cleaning the room properly and spreading the bed sheet, I came out of the room after an hour.

As soon as I entered the living hall,I was greeted by the maid who had come to do her work. She smiled at me.

I smiled at her and entered the kitchen to make lunch.
.
.
.
Author's pov 

"Das,keep this paper safe...we have to produce it in front of the judge tomorrow. I am leaving now..." Saptarshi said to Das.

He packed his things up and rode his bike towards his home . 
.
.
.
After an hour he reached his home ,he saw that his mother was talking with his sister's bestfriend Tanusree's mother.  

"Saptarshi, how are you? Come,join us." She asked him.

"I am fine, Aunty. If you excuse me,I would like to freshen up." He said politely. 

"Sure...sure." Aunty said and he ran towards his room.

He crossed Sanchita's room and was walking towards his room when Sreetoma came out of her room.

"Hey,Saptarshi. " She greeted him.

Saptarshi rolled his eyes and turned around.

"How are you?" She asked, smiling sweetly at him. 

"I am fine." He said and was about to turn around when Sreetoma's voice stopped him.

"Are you by any chance avoiding me?" She asked ,raising her eyebrows. 

He controlled his anger and the urge of snapping at her .

"Listen...you aren't someone special to me or we don't Share that kind of relationship where there will be a reason to avoid you….So please excuse me." He said and left from there.

Sreetoma sighed and went inside Sanchita's room.

"Your Brother is so boring you know!!!" Sreetoma said angrily. 

Sanchita and Tanusree chuckled.

"Come on….you know him...he is an angry young man type… you have to work hard….more hard." Sanchita said, making Sreetoma roll her eyes.

"Let's see Saptarshi…..how many days you will be able to resist my charm!!!! I will make you fall for me….by hook or by crook." Sreetoma said to herself and smirked evilly.

How's the chapter?

Let me know.

Stay tuned to unfold the unexpected events.

Next update will be soon.

Do vote & share your views in comment.

Please Share if you like this story.