38. Puja Begins

Author's Pov 

"What happened bhai? Why are you looking so upset?" 

Priyansh asked as he saw his friend Saptarshi sitting on the roof.  He looked visibly upset.

Saptarshi heard his friend and sighed. He shifted towards his right to make some space for Priyansh who gladly took the place.

Like every year Saptarshi with his family has came to Akash's and Priyansh's native place for Durga Puja.

But this year is very special for Saptarshi 

He was very excited from the Durga Puja this year and the reason was Aratrika … in fact he was counting his days for this trip from the time he heard that the Mukherjee family was going to join them. Spending these six days with Aratrika under the same roof was enough to make him grin like a fool.

But right now everything is turning very gloomy. The reason is that he is unable to talk with Aratrika in peace.

First of all their families are here which makes it impossible for him to have a long chat with her. Though he isn't afraid of anyone if they catch them together , he knows that Aratrika will be in trouble if her family catches her with him or any other boy,  she will be humiliated and he doesn't want that for her. Secondly he will not be able to meet her sneakily at night or talk to her on the phone as she is going to sleep with Kanika tonight.

He knows that he is behaving very childishly and he will be able to meet her for the next five days but he can not do anything and be practical as it is the matter of heart which beats for Aratrika. 

" Thought to sit and talk with Aratrika, but my luck." Saptarshi said with a sigh.

Priyansh chuckled and said ," The brave Police officer is sulking for this!!! Why don't you sneak into her room tonight?" 

Saptarshi rolled his eyes and said, "Kanika will be with her ..moreover I don't want her in trouble or feel uncomfortable because of me." 

Priyansh nodded and said ,"Don't worry ,you have five more days…. remember. " Saptarshi nodded with a smile.

Seeing his friend's sulking face , Priyansh thought about what he had  to do and he smiled.

Next Day --- MahaSaptami

Today is MahaSaptami

Maha Saptami is a holy day amongst the 9-10 day festival of Durga Puja. Maha Saptami is the 7th day of the waxing phase of moon (Shukla Paksha) in Aashin, or Aswhina month during Durga Puja. ‘Maha’ means ‘Great’ and ‘Saptami’ means the ‘Seventh Day’, thus the name Maha Saptami. There are lot of rituals performed on this day which are filled with devotion towards Maa Durga. It is a day of prayers, devotional music, rituals and devotion-filled celebrations for a large number of people across South Asia, especially in West Bengal.

The seventh day has a legend behind it. Lord Rama was preparing for an epic battle against the ‘King of Demons’, Ravana who had abducted his wife ‘Sita’. Before starting the war, Rama prayed to Devi Durga for her blessings. It was a tradition that Goddess Durga had to be worshipped with one hundred ‘Neelkamal’ (blue lotus flowers) but Lord Rama could arrange only ninety nine of them. Out of desperation and intense desire to please the goddess, Lord Rama decided to take out one of his blue coloured eyes (resembling blue lotus) and offered it to Goddess Durga. Durga was pleased with Ram’s devotion; she appeared before Ram and blessed him. Lord Rama's worship of Goddess Durga took place during the autumn month of Ashwin as per Bengali calendar and the battle started on the saptami i.e. the 7th day. The battle was won by Ram with the blessings of the Goddess of Power.