37. The Festivities

Author's Pov 

That was  the month of October. The atmosphere of Kolkata was totally festive. 
Why not!! 
After all it was the festival...it was the Durga Puja, one of the most important parts of Bengalees.

The markets of Kolkata were crowded with over joyed people of Kolkata as they were busy in buying new clothes, accessories for the biggest festival.

 The happy faces of the people was describing how eagerly they were waiting for their Durga Ma to arrive. From the youngsters to Old people everyone was counting days.

Right now the Mukherjee family was packing their bags as they were going to celebrate this Durga Puja with Kanika's in-laws.
The Durga Puja is celebrated in the native place of Akash and Priyansh where their extended family of their fathers' side stays. So the Mukherjee family is invited as well this year. They are going to stay there from Sosthi to the next day of Bijoya Dashami. 

Promita and her family were also invited but they were not going to come as they were going out of Kolkata for a trip.

"Ki re? Holo toder? 4 ta toh beje gelo. (What happened? Are you guys done? It's already 4 pm.)" Brijesh Mukherjee shouted from the living room as he and his elder brother were the first  to get ready. 

"Ei toh aschi ...eto chitkar korcho Keno? ( Coming...Why are you shouting?)" His wife came into the living room ,getting ready.  He huffed.

Soon everyone entered the living room as they were ready to go. 

"So, let's go. Suporno, take the car out." Biplob ordered his son.

"Where is Aru?" Suporno asked as he looked around.

"What's the need for her to go? What will she do there anyways?" Smita said sarcastically but immediately shut her mouth as soon as she received a glare from her mother.

Just then Aratrika entered while struggling with her suitcase in her hands. Suporno went to her and took the suitcase from her hand. 

After Suporno took the car out,  they started to load their luggage in the car. 

"So , Let's go." Suporno said and started the car to reach their destinations. 

As the car was passing through the road, they watched the pandels, the happy faces of people, some remaining  Durga Maa idols whose faces were covered were going towards their destinations  , the music was blasting in the pandals. From the Sosthi people had started to visit the Pandals as well.

Smita and Kanika indulged in their puja planning discussions,  their mothers were talking excitedly about the upcoming wedding arrangements of Kanika whereas Biplob, Brijesh and Suporno indulged in the conversation regarding the good restaurants in Kolkata. Only one person who was silent was Aratrika.

Aratrika was resting her head on the window of the car. Her mind drifted to the incident which happened two weeks ago in her house. 

Flashback 

Aratrika closed her eyes accepting the fact that they would know everything now. Once again her family will feel humiliated just because of her. She was ashamed of that.

Her fate was sealed.

 She closed her eyes, unable to see the upcoming reaction of her family when they would hear about her whereabouts and the hotel & police station incidents. 

But the next moment her eyes got wide opened when the words of Saptarshi reached her ears.

"She went to the Temple which was just half an hour away from your house. She was returning from there but unfortunately she fainted. " Saptarshi said to everyone. 

Aratrika kept looking at him with wide eyes. 

"Thank God that I was in the temple so I was able to take her a near by clinic and gave her first aid as well after she gained her consciousness. " Saptarshi said once again to the stunned audience who finally noticed the bandaged hand of Aratrika. 

Aratrika was stunned. She did not understand what she was feeling at that moment. On one hand she was thankful towards Saptarshi for saving her from the embarrassing situation, on the other hand she was feeling guilty for lying her family .

Sudeshna was the first one to walk towards her and she took her hand in her caressing the bandaged wound. Feeling the touch on her hand, Aratrika looked down.

As soon as Aratrika's eyes fell on her own wound, the mishaps of the hotel started to reel in her mind and tears started to pour from her eyes.

Sudeshna thought that she was crying due to the pain on the wound of her hand but in reality it was a mental and emotional wound which was making her cry.

Sudeshna hugged her and Aratrika's eyes locked with Saptarshi's eyes. The latter indicated her with his eyes  to assure her that everything would be alright and Aratrika just smiled a bit.

Flashback ends.

Aratrika was feeling immensely guilty for lying to them. But her heart was warmed seeing the concerned Saptarshi who regularly kept checking on her through phone calls and messages. He was there for her always. 

The feelings which she has for him she is determined to suppress. But everytime she talks with him and she feels how he is towards her --- soft, supportive and not to forget how he encourages her everytime she is feeling down due to getting rejected for the jobs, her repressed feelings resurface. Her heart beats like crazy.

Everytime her mind reminds her that she is not the  perfect one for Saptarshi as he deserves better than her. But a simple conversation with him is enough to shut her brain down and her heart is ready to take a lead.

"We are here." 

Aratrika's trance broke hearing Suporno's voice.  She looked from the window to see a big aristocratic house . The Mukherjee family was mesmerized seeing the beautiful Decorated house which spoke of a high lineage. The sparkling lights and beautiful fresh flowers were making the house look beyond gorgeous. 

" Darun. (Wow)!!" Unconsciously this word escaped from Aratrika's mouth.

" Sotti re, (Indeed)." Kanika agreed with her elder sister in trance.

"Aare , ei toh Kanika ra ese geche. Asun Asun. (There comes Kanika and her family, please come.)" Akash's father welcomed them from the entrance. 

The Mukherjee family was welcomed wholeheartedly by Akash's family and his extended family.

Aratrika was the last one to enter as she followed her family from behind. 

Her eyes took in the beauty of the house. 

Soon her cheeks turned pink unconsciously as soon as her eyes fell on the one who has been there the most in her mind and heart nowadays. 

Saptarshi. 

A smile graced her lips as she saw him talking and laughing with Priyansh about something. 

At that very  moment she realised how it was next to impossible for her to deny and ignore the fact that she liked Saptarshi way too much…..more than anything. 

Here you go .

I know the chapter is short... but next chapter will be a big one.

How's the chapter?

Let me know.

Next update will be on Friday.