27. Humiliation

Author's Pov

Aratrika was arranging her cupboard when a ping in her phone diverted her attention.

She stood up from the floor and walked towards the small table where her phone was kept and picked it up.

As soon as her eyes fell on the screen, she didn't know how to react.

Mr. Saptarshi : Hey, what's up? I hope I didn't disturb you.

This message made her feel mixed emotions.

It's been three days since they are connected with each other through chats. But everytime she receives a text from him, she feels this kind of emotions inside her.

First of all, someone other than her Jethima and Dada is interested to know about her...that also an outsider and this thought made her a bit overwhelmed.

Secondly there is a question in her mind why Saptarshi is interested to be her friend --- this thought made her anxious.

"Oh ho...don't think too much. You have nothing to lose then why this fear!! If you win something, that will be a good friend for life. So go with the flow ." Her heart advised her.

"No no...don't be friends with someone unknown. You know that very well.How much do you know him? How can you be so sure that he is a decent guy? Maybe he has something sinister in his mind regarding you.Think rationally ." Her mind reminded her.

"Sometimes it's best to loosen up. Moreover, if you don't talk to him, how will you know him? In fact he was the one who gave you his number, so that when you feel comfortable, you will text him." Her heart replied.

She couldn't help but agree with her heart.

After so many years she decided to listen to her heart.

She texted him back.

"Everything is fine. No you're not disturbing me. I was just arranging some of my stuffs .What about you?"

Within some seconds she got her answer.

Mr. Saptarshi: I am fine as well. Actually I just returned from a library which opened near our locality and collected some books which I haven't read yet.

Aratrika was surprised. She didn't expect him to be a reader or bookworm type of guy.

Her message made it clear :"Oh!! You like reading!! I didn't expect you to be like that.

"Did I say too much?" She asked herself after she sent the text to him.

As her phone pinged, she hurriedly opened the message.

Mr. Saptarshi : Well, I liked that I surprised you. But yes, I am an avid reader...you can say a bookworm.

Aratrika smiled while reading it and typed, "Nice to hear that. I am also a bookworm...but only for story books. Textbooks except Bengali and English nothing excite me...not today and not in my school life as well. "

Within seconds Saptarshi's message came : "But I thought of you as someone who won't eat her food until she finishes her assigned chapters while you were in school.

Hmm...that means we have assumed things about each other too much before knowing anything about each other. "

Aratrika was still reading his message.

Isn't it true that she was assuming him as a not so decent guy and doubted his intentions some time ago?

Soon a message from his side made her think : "We shouldn't judge a book by its cover."