40. Brothers bonding

Author's Pov 

The sound of Shanai was in the air which was indicating that the much awaited  evening of the marriage was here.

( Shanai is the Bengali word for the word Shehnai, a double-reed conical oboe of North India, Shehnai is a wind instrument made of wood and metal. Used in religious ceremonies, this instrument is found in various parts of North India.) 

The Mukherjee house was looking like a bride as it was decorated with different bright lights  , flowers and colourful clothes.

The guests, invitees started to pour into the house. The family members were running here and there to see the arrangements and were giving the last finishing touch.

Tonight is the night when Akash and Kanika were going to get married….it is their grand wedding.

After completing the remaining work ,The ladies had started to get  ready in their finest clothes and jewelleries.

Kanika was getting ready with the help of the stylists and Smita. 

Where every family member was doing something or other for the wedding, one person was prohibited from doing any kind of work. In fact she was not allowed to go near Kanika as well.

Yes, she was Aratrika who was currently sitting in her room near the window.

"Aru," 

Hearing her brother's voice, Aratrika wiped away her tears and sat straight by putting on the mask of a happy face.

Soon his brother Suporno entered along with Promita's son, Moinak.

"Wow, my brothers are looking so handsome. " Aratrika exclaimed with a smile as she saw them. Indeed they were looking handsome and good looking in the traditional Kurta. 

"Thank you for the compliment, my beautiful Di...but will you please tell me when you will get ready?" Moinak asked her after receiving her compliment dramatically. 

Aratrika looked down and said ," I was just going to."

Suporno sighed and said ,"You know right that you can't lie to us and moreover don't need to put on the facade of a happy face, you can be honest with us." 

Aratrika nodded and a tear rolled down her cheek.

Only she knows how much she wants to join with everyone to do her sister's wedding arrangements, how much she wants to help her in dressing… She has had so many dreams regarding Kanika's wedding….But alas it's not possible. 

Her dream will remain as a dream only.

She was strictly prohibited by her family especially her pisi who influenced everyone and convinced them that her presence can bring some problems in Kanika's wedding. 

She knew that Promita would do something like this. But what hurt her the most was her family's attitude ...her family also supported Promita in this decision. 

"Sometimes I want to do something so that some senses wake up in their brain..but I am helpless." Suporno said, clenching his jaw in anger.

"So true, Dada. The main problem is my own mother. I just  ..I just can't tolerate her." Moinak said angrily. 

"Moinak,don't say this. She is your mother." Aratrika scolded Moinak softly.

" So what, Di? She doesn't have any right to destroy your life and happiness. I know how she treats you. I also know how she has hurt you.." Moinak said.

"You also know what is true and what is not? And you can't deny the fact that you can really go there...they also know that you can join. It's just that they are deliberately doing it just to give you more pain…" Moinak continued  being agitated. He was fed up with the ill treatment which his Di was receiving for something which was beyond her control.

 His Di is the sweetest person he has ever known and it hurts him to see her tortured like this and how people take advantage of her sweetness -- this thought boils his blood every single time whenever he thinks about it.

Aratrika stood up abruptly. Walking towards the window, she clutched the end of her Salwar tightly and started to shiver . Suddenly she closed her eyes tightly and more tears started to roll down her cheeks as if she was reliving her nightmares in her mind once again.

Suporno looked at his sister's distress. Passing a glare at Moinak's way, he went towards her and immediately pulled her in his arms. 

"It's okay.. that's over. See you are here..with us.. all safe and sound. Relax ..relax." He whispered in her eyes. 

Slowly she started to get normal and her shivering form started to get relaxed. She wiped her tears and opened her eyes to see Moinak standing in front of her with a glass of water , his face depicted that he got tense seeing her like this.

Though the brothers witnessed her nightmare from the time the incident took place in her life ,they still couldn't help but get more concerned for her every time they saw her like this.

The last nightmare she had was three months ago. 

Suporno was relaxed when he saw that his sister wasn't having any nightmares in these three months. He thought maybe she got recovered from the after effects of the dark phase of her life.

But what he doesn't know is that it was Saptarshi because of whom she wasn't having any nightmares. Their late night chats, her feelings for him, his attention and sweet talks everything was feeling her life in joy by replacing those negative thoughts with the positive ones.

And still it is doing as well.

But today after Moinak talking about those, once again opened the unhealed wound of her past and unleashed the nightmare from the corner of her brain.

"Di ,I am sorry.. I shouldn't have brought out the past." Moinak said with a remorseful face. He cursed himself in his mind for turning so insensitive towards his favourite person in anger.

Aratrika's heart melted hearing his Apology. She held his hands and nodded at him.

" It's okay,Moinak… but please don't repeat it again. You told it today unintentionally, that's okay, I understand. But never repeat this again. I don't want to slip on that dark hole once again." Aratrika said slowly.

Moinak nodded ,apologizing to her once again. He was feeling extremely guilty as he made his sister cry on such a happy day.

"Okay okay… Aru, now get ready. The groom and his family will be here anytime soon. So get ready fast." Suporno said .

Hearing that Aratrika's traitor heart started to jump in her ribcage in anticipation of meeting that special someone. The moment she had with Saptarshi came in her mind, slowly her cheeks started to turn pink.

"Are you okay ,Di?" Moinak asked her in concern.

Aratrika's thoughts broke and she immediately said, "Yes yes...I am okay. Why are you asking?" 

"No… I mean all of a sudden your cheeks turned red, that's why I was just asking. " Moinak replied. He looked half convinced by his sister.

Aratrika scolded herself in her mind and tried to be normal. She said ,"No no….I am absolutely alright. Now you guys leave ,let me get dressed." 

The boys nodded and went out, leaving Aratrika. 

So, how's the chapter?

Let me know.

Next update will be on Tuesday.

Something exciting is on the way....

Thank you for reading.

Please Do Vote , Comment & Share.