31. The Reason

Author's pov 

Flashback 

(The day Aratrika ran away)

The Mukherjee family was having breakfast. Promita (Aratrika's Paternal aunt) was also staying with them for the last few days.

" I want to inform you all. " Biplob announced in the middle of the breakfast. 

"What is it?" Brijesh asked him curiously. Like him everyone was curious to know the reason.

"Yesterday, Jagadish Chatterjee called me. He wants Smita as their daughter in law. So They are coming here with their son. 
I also didn't find anything wrong in it .
They are a very  well known family and not to forget great people as well.. So I invited them for dinner." Biplod said. 

Biplob's wife, Brijesh and his wife and Promita (Aratrika's  Paternal aunt --Pisi) were a bit shocked but composed themselves as they knew that Biplob didn't do anything wrong.

"As you wish...we don't have any issue." Brijesh said. 

Smita was feeling irritated but didn't show it on her face. She knew that she couldn't go against her father. She didn't know anything about the man with whom they were trying to set her up...still she wanted to see as She had already planned to say no to him.  

Right now she doesn't want to commit to anyone as she has someone in her mind already….someone who is Saptarshi. She has  a major crush on him . Though she understands that he isn't interested in her ,still she will try to gain his attention in upcoming days and also wants to see where it takes them.

"Smita," Hearing her mother's voice, she looked up.

"Are you okay with the arrangement?" She asked her. 

"Why are you asking her? What does she have to say in this? It's her guardian's decision and I did it . " Biplob said in a no-nonsense tone. Nobody said anything to him in return. 

"So be prepared to welcome the guests. And tell that guard to cook delicious food for dinner." Biplob said and left for his shop followed by Brijesh.

The whole day they took the preparation as said by Biplob.

At around 7 pm, Biplob and Brijesh  came along with Jagadish Chatterjee, his wife and his son. They were welcomed and made to sit in the living room .

"Are you done?" Hearing her Jethi ma's voice, Aratrika turned towards her.

"Yes, Jethi ma. I am just plating it." Aratrika said as she started to plate the snacks on the plates. 

Soon Smita was brought into the kitchen dolled up in a beautiful saree. She entered with a tray of cups of tea along with her mother in the living room where the Chatterjee family was chatting with Biplob and Brijesh . Aratrika's mother, Kanika and Promita were also with them.

"Here is our daughter, Smita." Biplob introduced her to them proudly. Smita greeted them by touching Mr. Chatterjee's and his wife's feet. Then she greeted  their son, Ajay with  Hello and a smile  who nodded in return.

Soon they started to ask her questions regarding her education, profession, hobbies etc. Mr Chatterjee and his wife looked  impressed by her. 

Everyone was in the living room happily chatting except a person who was watching everything from behind the pillar which was in the middle of Kitchen and dining room. 

It is in a good distance from the living room so if someone doesn't concentrate ,he or she won't notice her.

Aratrika didn't join them as she knew that her family wouldn't like it and she had no intention to ruin their happy moments. 
That's why she was hiding behind the pillar so that no one could see her.