36. Facing the Mukherjees

Author's pov 

As Saptarshi rode the bike, Aratrika silently sat behind him.

Her mind was roaming about her newly found feelings for Saptarshi.
She started to have feelings for him. 

But How did it happen? When did it happen? 

She tried to search for the answers but couldn't find one. 

Maybe when for the first time she saw Saptarshi smiling with his friends, 
Maybe when Saptarshi saved her from the fire incident. 
Maybe his caring attitude for that incident. 
Maybe when he wanted to be her friend… during those late night chats, his silly jokes. 
Maybe when he saved her from killing her own self….his words, his care,  his support …….She started to catch feelings for him from then on maybe.

But she couldn't surely point out a particular moment and it's not possible as well.

She smiled looking at Saptarshi's reflection in the small mirror as she realised that she had started to like him.

But her smile wiped away in the very next moment when the reality of her life slapped on her face.

She shouldn't have feelings for him. She isn't the right person for him.

So no matter what she will control herself and her feelings for him. She is happy with his friendship and will keep it as it is. She will forget whatever admiration or feelings she has for him . It's for everyone's betterment. 

She took a deep breath.

 The bike came to a halt. She looked in front of her to see her house .

They have reached Mukherjee house.

Soon Aratrika remembered whatever happened today.
She started to shake due to fear. She knew what was going to happen when she would enter. Her Pishi (Paternal Aunt) Promita was also present there as she came to stay with them for the next two months till Kanika's marriage. She would definitely do anything which would increase her jethu's anger on her. 
This time the punishment would be severe.
 She just wanted to dig a hole and hide away to escape the tortures.

 They were about to enter when Saptarshi noticed Aratrika's shaking form.  Though he could understand what was going to happen but he didn't have any idea about the severity of the situation.

He held her hand which made her look at him.

"Don't worry, I am with you...I won't let anything happen to you." Saptarshi said to her. The sincerity in his tone was enough to make her heart feel the warmth. She believed in him. 

Aratrika noticed  unknown emotions swirling in his eyes which made her heartbeat like crazy. She immediately looked down which made Saptarshi break his trance and their eye contact.

"What the fuck am I doing?" Saptarshi mentally scolded himself for his unexplainable behavior and for making her awkward. He cleared his throat and said, "Let's go."

Aratrika nodded without looking at him and let go of his hand. Saptarshi didn't like it as he missed the warmth which he was liking. But he couldn't say anything. 

Clenching his fist, he took a deep breath to control his inner turmoil and they both walked towards the main door.

Saptarshi was about to press the bell when he saw that the main door was already unlocked and they could hear the loud voices coming from inside. They looked at each other in tension and then entered inside.

As soon as they entered ,they were greeted by silence. The eyes were on them…. throwing daggers at them to be precise.

Aratrika was shivering seeing the angry eyes of her Jethu, Pishi, Baba and most importantly her Maa. Only her Jethima's eyes held concern. 
Saptarshi noticed how their angry eyes turned into surprised one as they fell on Saptarshi. 

A sound of clapping cut the thick and unbearable silence of the hall. The claps came from no other than Promita. 

" Finally...finally you decided to grace us with your presence. " Her  Pishi (Promita) commented. 

"Where did you go without informing us ? Where were you?" Her mother asked her menacingly. Aratrika was too nervous to reply because she didn't know what to say. She didn't want them to know…
First of all they would punish her severely if they came to know about her attempt to search for online jobs.
Secondly, if they came to know about that hotel mishap , they would not trust her and that day would be her last day in this house.

"Can't you hear what your mother asked you? WHERE WERE YOU?" Her Jethu shouted ,making her flinch.

Saptarshi noticed how except Sudeshna none looked concerned about Aratrika. Hearing their tone he could guess that they were scolding her as she dared to step out of the house without their consent. They weren't worried about the reason for her late coming but they were more concerned about her disobedience to them.

His hate for them only increased. 

Controlling his anger, Saptarshi was about to open his mouth to answer when he was cut off by Promita. 

"Do you have any idea because of this stunt of yours what have we gone through? 
Without informing anyone you left… you didn't try to take permission. What do you think of yourself? 
What if something happened to you? We have to suffer because of that. But why do you care?
You don't care what others suffer because of you...you were always like that. You always like to do what you want to and others suffer the consequences. But why do you care? " Promita yelled hysterically. 

Saptarshi watched as a tear slipped from Aratrika's eyes hearing those harsh words. His heart clenched seeing her like this. He was feeling extremely angry towards Promita who was the reason of her tears. He just wanted to give her piece of mind for making Aratrika cry but he couldn't do anything because Aratrika won't like it.
So for the sake of her ,He was trying hard to control his anger.

" Dada ,I told you that she will bring more tragedies in our life, Don't give her much freedom..See, this is what I was talking about. She will never let us live in peace no matter how much we provide her with everything. " Promita said.

"ENOUGH." A sudden roar from Saptarshi shook everyone present there. Everyone looked at his angry form with wide eyes. They didn't expect this.
Aratrika shuddered seeing how angry he looked just like he looked at the Police Station. She also noticed how he was trying to control his anger.

" Whoever you are Mrs, Did you try to know why she was late? Did you try to know if she is hurt or has faced any trouble? Do you guys really care if she is Okay or not? 
The answer is No. " He said to them loudly.

Aratrika doesn't know what will happen now. She really didn't want her family to know anything. She looked at Saptarshi in tension but he was looking at her family members with rage in his eyes.

They all fell silent.

"What happened?" Sudeshna's panicked voice made Saptarshi turn towards her.

Aratrika closed her eyes accepting the fact that they would know everything now. Once again her family will feel humiliated just because of her. She was ashamed of that.
Her fate was sealed.

 She closed her eyes, unable to see the upcoming reaction of her family when they would hear about her whereabouts and the hotel & police station incidents. 

So here you go

How's the Chapter?
Let me know.

Next Update will be on Friday.

Stay Safe and Healthy.

Don't Forget to Vote, Comment and Share.