A True Mikaelson

(Hi and welcome to the Oneshot book. Would like to remind all those lovely people using text-to-speech that her name is pronounced eye-sa and not ee-sa. This scene also takes place before chapter 166. Hope you enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

"You don't get it, Elijah!"

"Then explain it to me!"

Katherine sighed as she faced her husband. This is not how she expected to spend the night after they defeated Dahlia, but this was a conversation between the two that needed to happen.

"Do you even understand the gravity of what you did?! You snapped Isa's neck and essentially daggered her after your so-called promise to protect her. You decided what was best for a child that was not your own, and then you got angry when Nik took revenge for that when you had no right to be angry or to make that decision."

"In my defence, I thought Niklaus killed Aiden and was unfit to make such a decision. Aiden's last words, after all, were our brother's name."

Katherine scoffed. "I get that killing people is expected from Nik, especially in the name of his family, but when he swore that it wasn't him; when Isa swore it wasn't; when I swore it wasn't; you still didn't believe us. You just went ahead and did what you thought was right for a child that you have no parental claim on. And as someone who had the decision to give away my child made for me, Nik was completely right to take his revenge."

"He tried to kill you!" Elijah exclaimed.

"You threatened to kill me!" Katherine fired back and Elijah flinched. "You threatened to kill me if I tried to pull the dagger from Nik's chest, in case you forgot."

"He still tried to kill you," Elijah persisted, trying to ignore the guilt filling him up.

"But he didn't! He told me that he didn't want to hurt me and he gave me his blood after he snapped my neck so I wouldn't be in any pain. And even still, it wasn't completely his fault, it was Isa's plan to get them on Dahlia's side. It was the only way to take her down. And Nik told me that it could've been worse than it was. There was so much more that he could've done to us but he didn't. It pisses me off what he did, but we deserved it Elijah, and it was the only way to defeat Dahlia! Tell me that you can see that at least?"

Elijah softened as he sat on their bed, blazer and tie abandoned as he unbuttoned the first few buttons on his dress shirt, breathing deeper.

"I can see where I was wrong, but I was doing what I thought was right."

Katherine knelt in front of him, taking his face in her hands.

"And I understand that. But you had no right to control everyone, myself included, the way you did, no matter the circumstances."

Elijah's hands moved down her arms before one cupped her cheek and the other remained on her neck. "I am truly sorry for what I put you through. I abhor my actions in retrospect, namely the ones that caused me to break my wedding vows, vows just as important, if not more, than the one to my siblings of always and forever. How can you ever forgive me?" he admitted, unable to look at her as a tear slid down his face and Katherine's own eyes teared up as she held her husband.

"Well, Kol did tell me that you're not a true Mikaelson until you've had a family member try to kill you," she joked and against his will, Elijah smiled before he pulled his wife into a kiss.

"You were always a true Mikaelson. And you are truly too good for me," Elijah said in pure adoration as he gazed at his wife, brushing her brunette curls behind her ears.

"We're on the same page with that," she said as she kissed his knuckles. "But if there's one thing I've learned about you Mikaelson men, is that you all think yourselves monsters. All of you couldn't be further from the term. Because Isa, Davina and I are proof that you aren't, because you can't love a monster, yet we all love you and that's not going to change anytime soon."

Elijah pulled Katherine onto his lap as their lips met in a deep kiss and Elijah said as they pulled away, "I love you."

Katherine smiled as their foreheads pressed together, eyes closed and arms around Elijah's neck as her smile turned into a smirk and she said, "Prove it."

Elijah's smirk was easily as wicked as their eyes met and they fell back onto the bed in each other's embrace.