Lost in Time - Part Two

They'd heard stories, seen photos, but nothing actually compared to being here in the moment. Sure they'd had countless balls in New Orleans, but this was different. Yeah, there was an element of danger to the situation but they got to see what their parents were like before they had kids.

And they looked just as in love as ever as they stepped forward in time with the music, one of their mother's favourite songs.

"Remember, they can't know who we are, and we can't compel them, so be careful what you say," Torin warned in a small voice as he and Lydia danced behind Hope and Henrik, the music loud enough that they wouldn't be overheard as they all gave slight nods.

So, they danced.

Despite what happened on this night, this was still a time that their entire family loved, so it was a dance that they knew well.

And for a moment, they forgot about their problems as they danced with each other, smiles on their faces as they swapped partners, Hope now dancing with Torin and Henrik dancing with Lydia.

But, like all good moments, it ended when Lydia was spun into her father's arms.

"Now who might you be?" he asked, voice the same as she knew.

"Lisa," she answered, trying to keep the nerves from her voice as they waltzed, his hand resting just under her shoulder blade. "And you are?"

Nik furrowed his brows.

"I'm Niklaus. Forgive me, but, you seem familiar. Have we met before?"

Lydia narrowed her eyes, pretending to act confused as she studied his face.

"No. I don't believe we have. Where are you from? Perhaps we know each other from there," Lydia suggested trying to keep up the ruse.

"Well, I've lived all over," he chuckled, Lydia well aware of the double meaning behind his words. "But my family and I are Scandinavian."

Her eyes widened in faux-fascination.

"How interesting. So, are you descended from Vikings then?" she asked with a small smirk that made her father chuckle, namely because he was a Viking.

"something like that," he answered. "Where are you from?"

"I was born in New Orleans," she explained and Nik's eyes seemed to fall for a moment before Lydia continued. "Have you ever been?"

"Once," he said, voice small. "But I'd not wish to return anytime soon."

Her smile was sorrowful.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I do hope you wish to come again one day. It's a gorgeous city. Peaceful. I think you and your family would like it. Mine certainly do."

His eyes then trailed down to her dress.

"Speaking of family, I swear mine has a dress just like yours. It's beautiful by the way."

Her heart desperately wanted to race, lungs tensing as she held her breath to try and stop it.

"Thank you," she said with a small smile. "My father bought this for my mother who gifted it to me. My sister's dress is the same."

Nik didn't get a chance to question her further before his attention was turned to something else. His wife and where she stood dancing with the mortal that was Rebekah's date.

"My apologies, but please excuse me," he said as he spun Lydia back into Henrik's arms and he moved over to Isa who looked as if she was about to kill the human.

"What did you do?!" Henrik asked in an urgent whisper as he ushered Lydia upstairs to one of the studies where Hope and Torin were waiting, having headed up there the second they saw Lydia talking with their father.

"I didn't do anything!" Lydia shot back as she wrenched her arm from Henrik's grip. "Dad was asking questions and we all know that the best lies are threaded with truth, so I gave him answers to his questions."

"You better not have told him anything that would screw up the timeline," Torin spat and Lydia gave him an incredulous look.

"Said the tribrid who walked up to Elena Gilbert and called her Aunt Kat."

"It's not my fault that they look exactly alike!" Torin fired back.

"Enough! Lyds, what happened?" Hope asked and everyone took a breath as they tried to calm down.

"He said I looked familiar and asked me where I was from. I said New Orleans. He got sad and said he never wanted to go back there. I said it's a great place that my family love it and his would too -"

"But our family is his family!" Henrik interrupted.

"I'm pretty sure that was the point," Hope explained before gesturing to Lydia to go on.

"So then he told me he was from Scandinavia and descended from Vikings before he noticed my dress."

"These outfits are all mom and dad's. Please tell me that he didn't recognise them," Torin asked worriedly, sighing in relief when Lydia shook her head.

"He almost did, but I threw him off when I told him that this dress and Hope's was a gift from our parents."

"Did he see her?" Henrik asked and she shook her head again.

"No. You guys were upstairs by then."

Hope sighed heavily as she ran a hand through her hair.

"We have to get out of here before we screw something up. That was too close," Hope exhaled.

"And where would you be going?" came a voice and they turned to see Esther Mikaelson standing at the door.