The Original Proposal

"Why have you brought me here? I must go back. I must face Miss Tatia, beg her forgiveness and-"

"No," Niklaus said gently and forcefully as his hands held Isa's biceps. "You are not going back to her. You are not to beg. If anything she should beg for your forgiveness. She and my traitorous brother."

"I must be honest I did not expect that of Elijah. You always spoke of him to be so noble and honest despite your feuding with him over Miss Tatia," she admitted as Nik sat them both down on a fallen log at the edge of the village, the next village over from where they lived, which was quite the trek.

"Do not speak of him. Do not speak of her. Listen to me, you are not going to go back to being a handmaiden," he promised as he gripped her hands tight, hands that yesterday had been stained with her own blood.

"But I'll have nowhere to go if I do not, Niklaus. And I can't imagine your father will be quite pleased with your running away."

"I'm going to take care of you. I almost lost you and I'm not about to lose you again."

Isa sighed tiredly as she looked down at the ground.

"But Niklaus, what could you possibly-"

Isa cut herself off as she looked back up and found Niklaus gripping both her hands as he bent down on one knee.

"I have no ring nor symbol of my love to offer you, but make no mistake my love for you runs deep. And it took you almost dying for me to say it. Isa, I love you and I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life, no matter how short it may be, with you. Will you marry me?"

Tears lined her emerald eyes as she pulled her hands from his.

"No."

Although his heart ached and his hope dimmed, he wasn't about to take no for an answer.

"Why ever not?"

Inhaling deeply, a tear slid down her face.

"Because I can't let you throw away your life for me. You've already saved me, you've made me so happy in our short time together but I can't let you do this. You already have a strenuous relationship with your parents and I don't want to be the reason that it worsens. I'll figure something out but you should go home. Please."

Niklaus only inched closer to her, cupping her cheeks as he wiped her tears.

"I'll be honest with you, I'm also scared of what my parents will say, but let me ask you this. Do you love me?"

Isa ran her hand along the smooth skin of his jaw as she met his baby blue eyes and said with as much sincerity as she could muster, "With all my heart. I love you Niklaus."

Weights seemed to lift off his shoulders in relief as his smile grew.

"Then say yes. Forget everyone and everything. In this moment, there is just us. We will weather whatever else is thrown our way when we get there, because I know I'll be able to get through anything so long as you are by my side. Know that I'm asking you this not because I pity you, but because I love you and I want to protect you. So, Isa, will you please marry me?"

The tears fell freely now.

"Yes."

And she crashed to her knees as she pulled Niklaus into a kiss, his hands holding her tightly to him.

"I love you," he muttered as they pulled away and he tucked some of the hair behind her ear.

"Is this why you whisked me away to another village? To marry me?" she asked with a small smirk and Niklaus' answering grin was wicked.

"I'll admit that my intentions around bringing you here centred around marrying you, yes. But I also wanted to give you an escape, a mere few days of peace before we return to reality."

"And though this time has barely begun, I already dread its end," she admitted as she caressed his cheek.

Niklaus then pulled himself to his feet.

"Are you ready then?" he asked as he offered her his hands.

"Ready for what?" she asked with a furrowed brow.

"For our wedding of course," Niklaus exclaimed with a smile as if it should be obvious.

"We are to be married today?" she asked in shock.

"I apologise, was I not clear about that?"

"No!" she said incredulously.

"Well, it's a minor detail. And another part of the reason why we're in this village," he began to explain as he placed a hand to the small of her back as they walked. "My family's witch, Anaya, her sister resides in this village. And her sister has been kind enough to marry us."

"I'm afraid I'm not in the proper attire for a wedding," Isa said after a time, gesturing down to the tattered dress she still wore, the one that was still torn and stained with her blood underneath the white shirt of Niklaus' she wore as her only dress was now indecent.

"You are beautiful in whatever you wear. But I did account for this and I have procured one of my sister's dresses for the occasion."

Niklaus was absolutely delighted at the small smile and chuckle Isa gave, after all she had been through in the last two days, she deserved to smile and enjoy herself.

"I do not think Rebekah will be too happy with you stealing one of her dresses."

Niklaus gave her a playfully offended look.

"Although I'm deeply offended by the accusation, I'm glad to prove you wrong."

Isa raised her brows at him in surprise.

"When it comes to love and her brothers, next to nothing escapes my sister's notice. She also claims she had this instinctual feeling that something was stirring between the two of us."

"So, she knows of us? And she's ok with it?" Isa asked curiously but also worriedly.

"She was more than ok with it. She even went so far as to try and advise me in what I should say when I asked you to marry me. I think she's looking forward to the idea of having a sister," Nik smiled as they continued walking, Isa's arm looped with his as she rested her head on his shoulder.

"I believe I am as well. I have never had a sister before, nor a family."

Her voice wasn't sad, but longing.

Nik only squeezed her hand.

"Well, my love, you are about to join a rather large family. Your days of being alone are long over."

Her smile to Niklaus was grateful.

"But what if your brothers do not approve of me?" she worried and Niklaus' love only grew at the glimpse of her heart.

"Their approval does not matter. But if you want to know, Kol I believe will be enamoured with you to the point where he would wish he'd found you first," Nik began as he thought of his second-youngest brother with a fond smile, Isa chuckling slightly. "Finn will be quiet, reserved for a while until he warms up to you. I feel as if you two might have a great deal in common beneath the surface. And Henrik will absolutely adore you. That boy has never disliked anyone in his life, even my mother and father."

"You are a good brother Niklaus. And a good person," Isa praised but Niklaus forgot what he was about to say when they finally reached their destination.

"This is the house of Anaya's sister. So, my love, are you ready to marry me?"

"I have never been more ready."

And with a large smile, Niklaus knocked on the door.