So Was The Promise

"I'm not going to warn you again," Hope threatened as she pulled herself up off the ground, blood trailing down her face from her hairline, her mouth, her nose, her clothes ripped and her body battered. Her werewolf side was healing her, but ridiculously slowly. Oh, how she couldn't wait to trigger her vampire side so she didn't have to deal with healing slowly anymore. "You have no idea who you're messing with."

The ancient vampire who'd revealed himself to be around 700 years old, only grinned as he bared his fangs.

"You're a witch," he snarled as his eyes turned red. "A witch without magic now. And a witch I'm going to add to my long list of victims, for your kind killed my family."

Hope gave a pained laugh.

"Then you were probably asking for it."

Three - no, four. 

She was fairly certain at least four of her ribs were broken as the vampire hissed before throwing her backward, the impact of his hands on her chest and then her back with the wall and the floor easily shattering the bones as breathing instantly became more difficult.

"You know," Hope gasped as the vampire advanced, coat discarded as he rolled up the sleeves of his black button-down shirt. "I think my mother would - would love to meet you. My, my father too. My entire family - for that matter," she strained as the vampire closed his hand around her neck as he pulled her up, her toes barely brushing the floor as she choked.

"I don't care who your family is."

Even as her face turned red, the girl that was truly an embodiment of her parents, smiled as best she could.

"You should."

And the doors to the abandoned building in the bayou cracked and crumbled as they were kicked in and in walked a woman flanked by two men.

The woman was Isa Mikaelson, and she was dressed in all black with her raven hair flying as she stormed into the building, her expression reminiscent of the fury that surged within her. Fury that was shared by her husband and eldest son as they walked in with her.

"Put my daughter down," she ordered, her voice dark and murderous as the veins under her eyes filled with blood as her eyes turned red and the vampire scoffed.

"You're a vampire, she's not your daughter. And you can't beat me," he said as he squeezed Hope tighter.

"Oh, I beg to differ," Klaus said, his voice smooth with rage as the vampire began to grow nervous at the sight of his golden eyes and red veins. "No one hurts a Mikaelson and lives."

"Mikaelson?" he questioned as if only now realising the grave error he'd made.

"We won't ask again," Marcel said as he stepped up to his mother's side, veins under his eyes pulsing as he was eager to test out his new Original strength after his mother had bonded him and Rebekah the way Katherine and Elijah had been. "Put my sister down."

The vampire clenched his jaw as if trying to swallow his nerves.

"As you wish."

And Hope was flung through the air as the vampire threw her at them.

And while Marcel and his mother tore after the vampire, Nik sped to catch his daughter, the girl crying out in pain as she held her ribs and let the tears fall from her eyes.

"You're alright, princess. I've got you," Nik soothed as he gently set her on the ground and tore into his wrist with his teeth. "Drink," he urged as he held it to her lips, his daughter not hesitating as the warm blood slid down her throat, spreading through her body as it healed. "That's my girl," he said as he held Hope's head to his shoulder.

"Thanks, Dad," she muttered, completely exhausted as she sagged against him, unprotesting of how tight her father held her, his relief evident through the bond they shared.

Their familial bond between him, his three children and his wife worked in interesting ways. For one, the closer their relationship was with one another, the stronger the bond. And though Nik was attached to all his children, his attachment to his only daughter stretched to greater lengths, partially why he'd been so panicked when he felt Hope's pain and fear as she pleaded for her family to help her.

It was then that Marcel and Isa returned at vamp speed, Nik's knuckles turning white as he secured his grip on his daughter who was soundly asleep now that she knew she was safe in her father's arms, because bloodied and unconscious whilst wrapped in thick chains as he was dragged behind the mother-son duo, was the vampire that attacked Hope, Marcel holding the chain that dragged him behind them.

"An easy one for you both, I see," Nik remarked as he then shed his jacket, wrapping it around his daughter before hoisting her into his arms as she slept comfortably against his shoulder.

"Isn't it always?" Isa mused as she and her son engaged in a small handshake, one a little 5-year-old Hope had insisted they all learn, and it simply stuck.

"We're gonna take him to The Garden and see if he really was the one killing all the witches lately and Hopes was just in the wrong place and the wrong time or if there was more to it," Marcel answered.

"I trust you'll keep this quiet. You know how our family gets when one of us is injured," Nik said.

"Not a problem, dad, but since this concerns the witches, Davina might have to be thrown into the loop but she shouldn't have a problem keeping it from Kol," Marcel replied and Isa laughed.

"If Kol only knew how much witch business he was kept out of. He really could pass for one with how obsessed he is with them."

"Well, I mean he did marry one," Marcel added as his mother chuckled, Nik even cracking a small smile, but it was slight, he wouldn't let his guard down anymore unless he knew for certain that there was no threat to his daughter.

"I think it's time for another family dinner. I want everyone under one roof tonight," Nik said, his family understanding and agreeing instantly.

"I'll let the group chat know and reinforce the protection spells around the compound," Isa said, Nik nodding as he calmed a little bit.

"And you're both ok?" he clarified.

"We're fine, dad."

"Not a mark on us, my love."

"Good. Let's get her home," he said as he turned and walked out of the door his wife had kicked down, Isa taking her son's hand before following them.

Though they'd all done a significant amount of healing since the death of their parents, no amount of time would heal the scars that made their family so worried for one another.

But regardless of the damage that plagued all of them, they would never be alone when it came to fighting the darkness; so was the promise of always and forever.