The Kiss

(A/N: For obvious reasons, I haven't been that inspired to write lately. So this one's short. I also couldn't remember where exactly Celeste kisses Elijah so just pretend that she did it to burn those names onto his skin that led to the asylum where Nik and Rebekah were held by Genevieve. Hope you enjoy. XxD)

******************************************************************

"Celeste kissed me."

Katherine froze.

"What?" she asked as she looked up at him from where she was trying to trace the tattoos burned onto his skin.

Elijah's face was painted with guilt as his mouth opened and closed, trying to form the words he couldn't yet find.

"When she cursed me with this childish enchantment, though I was unaware at the time, she did so by kissing me," he admitted and Katherine's breathing turned shaky as she set down her tools and braced her hands on the edge of the table.

"Did you kiss her back?"

Elijah hesitated.

"Yes."

Fractures coated Katherine's heart and her voice broke.

"Did it mean anything?'

"No," he assured, his voice certain, but Katherine whirled on him, fury and pain in her veins.

"But it meant enough that you kissed her back."

"Katarina-"

"No," she cut him off. "This happened last night. While I was burning in a house with Isa and her unborn child, you were making out with your ex-girlfriend. Isa is in a magically induced coma while Klaus and Rebekah are god-knows-where, enduring god-knows-what kind of torture, and you're only telling me this now?"

"It meant nothing," he said, voice deep, certain and slightly frustrated. "I'm aware of the poor timing, but, I assure you it meant nothing," he promised as he moved closer to her but Katherine pushed him away.

"Don't Elijah."

"No!" he growled as he grabbed her upper arms, gently but forcefully enough to keep her in place. "I am aware I've hurt you. But I lost you once and though I would, I don't want to wait another 500 years to find you again. Despite the kiss we shared, anything I felt for Celeste died with her when I buried her body. It is you whom I love and you with whom I want to spend the rest of my life with."

Tears pooled in Katherine's eyes as he lifted her hand to his bare chest, the beating of his heart beneath her hand palpable.

"My heart beats for you. It beat for you 500 years ago and even when I was with Celeste it beat for you still. No one, not even Tatia, compares to you, Katarina. It was always and will always be you. And I am more ashamed than ever of my actions because they hurt you, but I will spend eternity making it up to you if that is what you wish, if that is what it takes. It meant nothing."

Her bottom lip trembled as tears leaked from her eyes, eyes that left the spot where their hands were joined over his heart to meet his eyes before dropping back down.

"It meant nothing?" she asked and Elijah reached a hand to guide her eyes to his, the other still holding hers to his heart.

"It meant nothing."

"Did it hurt when she burned those names on you?'

Elijah couldn't help but chuckle. "The process was excruciating, yes. "

Katherine laughed through her tears.

"Well, then I guess I can forgive you."

Her face then grew angry as she pulled her hand from his chest and pointed a manicured finger at him.

"But if it ever happens again, I don't care how old you are or how sorry you are, I will rip that heart from your chest, whether it beats for me or not, Elijah Mikaelson. "

Elijah pulled her to him, a relieving breath exhaling out of Katherine as his lips touched her forehead.

"And I wouldn't stop you. I love you, Katarina."

She melted slightly at his words.

"I love you too."