Happy Birthday

"Happy birthday," Isa said to her husband as she held out a small gold box to him. "I know we stopped celebrating, because one, I don't know mine and two, why would we when we live forever?" she began. "But why not show how much I love my husband on the day the world was blessed with his birth?"

Nik smiled as he kissed her, taking the box from her, a bit of a child-like smile on his face as he removed the lid.

He pulled out a rectangular silver medallion on a leather cord, intricate patterns traced onto it, matching the chains he already wore around his neck.

"It's stunning," Nik whispered as he set the box aside and ran a finger over the engravings.

Isa smiled as she sat crossed-legged on the beg and said, "Open it."

Nik furrowed his brows, but eventually found the little button almost flush with the top of the medallion and pressed it.

Splitting in half, Nik pulled open the medallion to see a row of folded up photos that he straightened out.

His blue eyes rested upon the first image, the photo they'd taken at the house Rebekah was hiding in, at the bonfire, Nik with his arms around his wife and daughter and his two siblings with their arms around him.

The second image was a photograph of a painting that Nik had painted of him and Isa on their wedding day. Cameras were far from existing back then so when the tools became available, one of the first pieces Nik ever painted was from pure memory, him and his wife on their wedding day, a painting that now hung in the hallway with the portrait of Rebekah he'd done.

The third image was a photo of Isa with all of Nik's biological siblings. Elijah, Kol, Freya and Rebekah all stood in two lines as they smiled, holding up Isa as if she was sitting on a throne, her stomach slightly swollen, the photo taken from when she was pregnant with Henrik.

The fourth sleeve, however, was blank.

"This is perfect," Nik whispered as he kissed his wife in thanks. "Why is the fourth one empty?" he asked and his wife was still smiling, cheeks sore from it.

"That is for a photo that hasn't been taken yet, one of our entire family. I figured you'd want to wait to make sure everyone is included," she explained as Nik closed it and finished fastening it around his neck and she held her hands to her stomach.

Nik's eyes widened. "This best not be a trick," he warned.

Isa only smiled as she pulled out a positive pregnancy test. "Happy birthday."

Isa yelped before she giggled as Nik gently pounced on her, pushing her back against the bed as he kissed her.

"I love you," he said as he looked at her in complete and utter adoration and love.

Isa smiled as her hand rested on the scruff of his beard.

"I love you too."