The Centrepiece

Isa, Katherine, Rebekah, Freya and Davina sat in Isa's bedroom as they had a bit of a pampering session.

Davina was in the middle of a massage, talking with Katherine who was getting a pedicure next to her.

Rebekah was having a manicure while her facial mask dried and Isa sat on the edge of her bed, Hope giggling in front of her as she had her nails done for the first time as her mother braided her hair, a facial mask covering her fair skin.

"What colour would you like Miss Hope?" the compelled human asked, only painting Hope's nails rather than giving her a full manicure and pedicure because she was too young for it.

"Sunset pink," Hope exclaimed and all the older women smiled, happy to see her so happy.

"And what colour do you want your fingers sweetie?" Isa asked as her fingers gently twisted and guided Hope's hair into a gorgeous waterfall braided crown on the back of her head, how Isa wore her hair when she married Nik a thousand years ago.

"Midnight blue," Hope answered instantly.

"Do they go together?" Rebekah asked as she tried to envision the colours.

"Of course they do Aunt Bekah," Hope replied as the human began work on Hope's tiny toes.

"She's her father's daughter. She can mix colours just as well as Nik can and she's seven Bekah," Isa said to her sister who only smiled at her niece.

That sentence seemed to plunge Hope into thought as she stared down at her toes, but before Isa or Rebekah could question her, Davina spoke up.

"Think the boys have crashed and burned yet?" she asked.

"Well they have Henrik and the triplets, so I hope not. Why didn't we keep Liliya and Melody with us at least?" Katherine asked as her toes began to dry and she reclined in her plush white spa chair and had a facial mask applied.

"Because they're still too young for this Kat. And the boys said they were going to lunch. And the restaurant had a play area for the kids. So in theory they should be fine," Freya said.

"I mean they did take on the most powerful witch in history. Should we really be worried about them?" Isa asked as her feet were massaged, her eyes closed.

"Considering my husband is with them, potentially," Davina said as she got up from the massage table and stretched before slipping on a shirt and switching places with Freya.

"Relax D. Elijah's there. The noble stag will never let any harm come to his family," Rebekah replied.

"Nor would Nik let any harm come to his son or nieces and nephews," Katherine added.

"Hey, Mom?" Hope finally spoke up as she looked to her mother who opened her eyes to meet her daughter's gaze next to her.

"Yeah, sweetie?"

"I want to do something," Hope announced and Isa sat up as she looked to her daughter with an adventurous smile on her face.

"What do you want to do Hope?"

"I want to paint something. With a proper canvas and paints and brushes."

Her aunts exchanged glances at her request as Isa furrowed her brows. "You've only ever wanted to use your notepads and watercolours before. What brought this on?"

"Daddy likes painting. I want to paint something for him, like how he paints for us. He deserves a painting too."

Their hearts melted.

Isa kissed her daughter's head before she stood, dismissing the humans as she picked up her daughter, setting her on her hip.

"Let's go."

Isa brought Hope into Nik's art room, which was messy as always, sketches strewn about with stray paints and paintbrushes. But the best part of the room was the art that populated the walls. It wasn't just paintings, there were photos. Dozens of photos of his family, his children, along with their portraits that lined the walls. Nik's ultimate inspiration for whatever he created.

Isa set Hope down and said, "Hang on one second sweetie."

She then went to rummage in a storage cupboard where Nik kept spare easels and canvases and paints.

Hope meanwhile moved over to stand in front of her father's easel, his latest piece half-finished on it, a cacophony of blues and greens and purples and whites, making it impossible to tell what it was in its incomplete state.

And while Hope was intimidated by the height of the easel and the canvas, her head reaching just past the tray where paintbrushes lay, she was lost in the swirling of the colours, in how they came together before her mother called her over, wood held in her hands, along with a small canvas.

Setting the canvas down Isa set up the small easel that was perfect for Hope's size before she crouched down to her daughter's level.

"Your father has been waiting for the day that he could paint with you. He saw your talent since the very first time you picked up a brush. And when he did, he had this made for you. Along with some canvases, brushes and a pallet. He was going to give it to you for your birthday, but what do you say? Wanna do some art now?" Isa asked her daughter whom she had her hands around gently and who beamed at her mother as she nodded her head.

Isa grinned as she kissed Hope's cheek before setting the canvas on the easel and presenting her daughter with her pallet and a pot of brushes, all with her name whittled elegantly into the wood.

Isa provided her with a set of tubes of paint and her daughter was off, expertly squeezing just the right amount of paint onto her pallet after painting the canvas with a white base coat.

And while she was off in her own world, already knowing exactly what she was going to create, Isa had gotten out her camera, snapping photos of her daughter working before she noticed all her sisters standing in the doorway, barefooted, nails drying and face masks on as they watched Hope work.

To say Nik cried when Hope gave him her gift was an understatement.

Isa had dried it with magic before she and Hope wrapped it up. And the second Nik walked through the doors of the compound, she went running over to him with the gift in her hand, Isa with her camera at the ready.

Hope had painted them.

Had painted the silhouette of her being held by her father as they stood before the large bright full moon. And in the bottom corner of the painting, in white paint, Hope had written the message, I love you daddy.

That painting was the centrepiece of Nik's art room and truly the best gift he'd ever received, and Isa didn't mind at all.

It warmed her heart to see the bond between the two, to see her husband as a father again, as a family.

It was their happily ever after.

It was their new beginning.

It was their centrepiece.