Lost in Time - Part Four

They were immediately engulfed in hugs.

Isa squeezed her boys into a hug while Nik held his girls, kisses to their foreheads before they swapped, the sun warm on them as they stood in the middle of the courtyard of their compound.

"Thank gods you are all ok!" Isa exclaimed as she hugged her daughters.

"You took care of the witches? Because I'd love a chance to sink my teeth into one," Henrik said darkly, having inherited his mother's affinity for inflicting pain on those who deserved it.

Nik and Isa seemed to dim slightly before Nik answered them.

"Yes. We took care of the witches, and your mother and aunts were able to reverse their spell. It took some time to work though. You've been gone a few days."

"It only felt like a few hours to us," Lydia said before her father eyed their attire.

"And where, pray tell, were you lot whisked away to in those outfits, which I seem to recall seeing in your mother and I's wardrobes?" he asked with a raised brow.

"Mystic Falls, 2011," Torin answered and their parent's eyes widened.

"Where and when exactly in Mystic Falls? I don't think you've done anything too bad to the timeline because everything still seems the same on our end, but still, what did you do?" Isa asked, her voice drenched in motherly concern.

"The night of that ball that our grandmother made you throw," Lydia explained and Nik was filled with rage and concern as he cupped Lydia's face.

"And you're sure that you're alright?"

Lydia leaned into his touch, this Nik feeling like her father, feeling warm and loving in comparison to the other.

"We're fine dad, I promise," Lydia said as she reached her hands up to intertwine with his.

"She may be old and strong, but we're stronger, especially together," Hope added and Isa wrapped an arm around her daughter.

"I'm glad to hear that you weren't fighting," she praised before Henrik scoffed.

"Oh, we fought. Especially after Lydia danced with the version of you that had no idea who we were and Torin went up to Elena Gilbert and called her Aunt Kat," he revealed, only for both siblings to punch him in the arms, making him flinch in pain.

"Bloody tattle-tail," Lydia murmured.

"And like I said back in 2011, it's not my fault they're bloody identical! They're doppelgangers for crying out loud!" Torin defended, him definitely having inherited the Mikaelson flair for the dramatics.

"So long as nothing was messed up and all of you are home safe," Isa laughed as she moved to bring her youngest son into a hug.

"Indeed, Ms Lisa," Nik said to Lydia with a smirk as she chuckled, a little embarrassed at the new memory she'd given her father.

"Am I missing something?" Isa asked with a somewhat confused look on her face.

"Nothing mom," Lydia asked as she pulled her father into a hug again.

"Well, if I've been magically sent to the past for a few days, I know I've missed Carter and he's probably missed me. So I'm going to go see him," Hope said as she began to walk away.

"Hope, wait," Isa said solemnly as she moved away from her family, twisting her wedding rings anxiously.

Hope turned, a hand to her stomach as she felt how her mother's stomach was churning, how her heart was racing, with fear.

"Mom, what is it?" Hope asked softly as Isa inhaled deeply.

"The witches. Carter did something after your aunts and uncles rescued us from the witches."

Hope began to tense.

"What did he do?" she asked and Isa's heart twisted.

This was never a conversation she wanted to have with any of her children.

Despite feeling her pain less acutely than his children who shared Isa's blood, Nik moved towards her, placing a supportive hand on her back as he faced his daughter.

"He didn't want to wait. He wanted you back. So he found his way into the witches camp to try and find the grimoire with the spell they used to send you back in time. But he was caught," Nik explained and Hope gripped the heart necklace around her neck as her hands shook.

"But you went back for him, right? You saved him?" she questioned desperately as her eyes began to line with tears.

"We went after him as soon as we knew he was gone, but, Hope we were too late," Isa said softly, tears gathering in her own eyes as Lydia clutched her brother's hands in support as they watched the scene.

A sound of despair seemed to escape Hope's lips.

"Mom what do you mean you were too late?! WHERE'S CARTER!?"

Isa steeled herself, her hand squeezing Nik's as she said the words that made Hope's world shatter, words that had made both Nik and Isa's worlds shatter before.

"He's dead."

******************************************************************

Hope seemed to shatter, her eyes tearing and her voice breaking as she asked, "How did it happen?"

Nik and Isa only exchanged a look.

"It was quick," her father said. "His heart torn out. They burned him after and we were too late to stop it."

Hope's hand went to her lips as she cried in disbelief, her siblings not knowing how to comfort their sister.

And then the ground began to rumble as Hope's heart broke.

"Mom, what's happening?" Torin asked worriedly as Henrik helped keep Lydia steady.

"Nik get her out of the city. Go!"

And in a blur, Nik and Hope were gone as the ground eventually steadied and Isa rushed to her three kids.

"Mom, what's going to happen to Hope?" Lydia asked and Isa only bit her lips.

"Your father is going to try and talk to her, but if it doesn't work, then I need you all to stay away from your sister for a while."

"What is dad going to do?" Henrik asked gravely and Isa took a deep breath as she recalled her earlier conversation with her husband.

"What he has to."