Rebekah's Necklace

"Still feeling the effects of last night's little soiree, sister?" Nik chuckled as he approached his sister who was slowly filling her plate at the breakfast buffet that had been assembled for them even though it was around 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

"Little soiree? I'm pretty sure they heard that party all the way in Arkansas, Nik," Rebekah grumbled as she rubbed her forehead before taking an angry bite out of a beignet. "How the bloody hell are you not tripping over your feet?"

Nik's grin was unbelievably smug as he piled several of the sweet pastries onto his plate.

"Unlike you, little sister, I chose to be a responsible parent and ensure that all of my children made it home safely which required a decent level of sobriety, something you would appear to know nothing about."

Rebekah only threw a beignet at him as she grumbled.

Nik chuckled as he ducked out of the way.

"You just wasted a perfectly good beignet and now I might not give you your present," he said innocently as he reached for another and Rebekah furrowed her brows.

"What present? It's not my birthday or Christmas."

"Does there have to be an occasion for me to get my baby sister a present?" he asked with a smirk and Rebekah narrowed her eyes at him as she placed a hand on her hip.

"Depends on what it is."

"Oh, don't worry, I'm fairly certain you'll love it," he replied nonchalantly.

"Tell me what it is then," she demanded as she shoved his shoulder. "Don't be such a tease Niklaus."

He rolled his eyes before picking up a beignet and inspecting it.

"Do you remember our mother's necklace that Stefan Salvatore gave to his then doppelganger wench of a girlfriend?"

Rebekah's plate shattered on the floor, food spilling everywhere as Nik just casually bit into his beignet.

"Niklaus, I swear on my children's lives that if this is your idea of a practical joke -"

"I simply asked you a question. I never said it had anything to do with your present."

"Nik!"

"Darling, please just get on with it. All this yelling is far too loud for the rest of us," Isa called out from the table where the rest of their family was also nursing hangovers that even ten hours of sleep didn't dull.

The rest of the table grumbled in agreement, their entire family having crashed at the compound as it was closest after last night - or this morning.

"That necklace was the one gift our mother gave to me that was not shrouded in ulterior motives or had blood split over it. That and it reminded me of Henrik," Rebekah admitted and the sombre mood settled throughout the room as everyone turned to Henrik as they thought of his namesake. "I held it for the very first time on the day he died. So, Nik, please don't tease me about that necklace."

Nik considered her words as he stepped closer to her, having set his beignet down.

"Well, then I suppose it's a good thing that Isa found it when we were rooting around the Salvatore's house," he said with a growing smirk as he held up the pendant, Rebekah's eyes widening in shock. "And don't worry it's been sanitised of any Salvatore germs."

Rebekah tackled her brother into a hug as he caught her easily, lifting her off her feet.

"How on earth?!" she exhaled as she pulled away and held the necklace in her hands.

"Funnily enough, it was probably the only secret that doppelbitch had when we were rooting around her head," Isa piped up. "That girl was incredibly boring. I mean she hid the necklace in the sock drawer. Can she be any more unoriginal?"

"Even her sex life was bland," Hope added and Nik's eyes darkened. All the kids, the girls especially, knew better than to discuss any sort of intimate behaviour in front of their ridiculously protective and possessive fathers.

"And how would you know what constitutes an exciting sex life, Hope Anee Mikaelson?" Nik asked, voice riddled with anger and Isa swore that she could see veins under his eyes - although it may have been her hangover.

Hope just gave her father an innocent smile.

"From all the stories uncle Kol tells, of course," she answered and the entire table turned at the vampire in question.

"Kol!" his wife scolded.

"Hope!" he whined in return at being ratted out.

"There are better stories to tell our nieces and nephews, specifically the ones that involve us in clothes," Davina reprimanded but Kol only smirked as he lifted his fork to his mouth.

"As if we need clothes to come off."

He often forgot that the linking spell that kept his witchy wife alive also imbued her with his enhanced strength. Something Davina reminded him of as she whacked him in the ribs.

"Nik, can you?" Rebekah asked, diverting all the attention off Kol, save for Davina who Kol was now trying to woo as he entered her mind, not about to whisper to her around a table full of supernaturally enhanced beings.

Nik's smile returned as his sister turned around and lifted her hair as he placed the pendant around her neck and did up the clasp before adjusting her blonde locks as she let her hair down.

"Perfect," he said as she turned around, the necklace on display as it rested between her collarbones. "Back where it belongs."

Her grin was blinding as she hugged him again, pressing a kiss to his cheek as she muttered the words, "Thank you."

Nik in turn pressed a kiss to her head.

"You're welcome, my little Bekah."

Rebekah then turned to her daughter, her fingers on her pendant.

"This will be yours one day. I've always wanted to hand something down to my daughter. Never thought I'd get to do it," she said and Diana's smile was warm despite her pounding headache.

"I'd be honoured to wear it, mom," she replied as Nik threw a few more pastries on his plate before placing it in his sister's hands.

"Come. This food isn't going to eat itself," he said as he ushered her back to the table, planning on just stealing bites of food from his wife.

His wife who raised her glass of orange juice into the air.

"To the death of the Salvatore's!" she called before everyone raised their glasses as well.