A Different Kind of Dance

Hope laughed, a massive smile on her face as Carter spun her out before pulling her back to him.

"You're good at this," she grinned, a completely smitten grin as her arm rested on his shoulder and her hand clasped his, his other hand comfortable on her hip.

"Your aunt was a good teacher."

"I still can't believe that you went behind my back so that my Aunt Bekah could give you dancing lessons."

Carter only smiled.

"Well, she refused to let you go to your first high school dance with a partner who didn't know how to dance properly."

Hope chuckled.

"Be glad she didn't insist to come. She's always loved this kind of thing. She planned a 1920's themed dance back when my family was in Mystic Falls."

Carter huffed a laugh.

"As fun as that sounds, your parents still insisted on coming, even though neither of us even go to high school," he said as he pointed out where Nik and Isa were dancing, the couple posing as chaperones as they swayed to the music. And rather than be focused on Hope and Carter, the couple were completely enamoured with each other as soft conversation was made between them as smiles glittered on their faces.

"It was mostly dad that insisted and they mean well. And after what they went through I don't blame them for wanting to keep an eye on me. Even though mom promised to help keep dad's eyes off of us for the night."

"And a splendid job she seems to be doing," Carter laughed as they swayed, Isa and Klaus utterly in their own world and making Hope laugh too.

"I want a love like theirs someday," she said mindlessly as she stared at her parents, watching as her father dipped her mother, kissing her before pulling her back up. And while she watched them, Carter watched her, a smile of adoration on his face as he gently moved Hope's chin to face him.

"And we'll get there. Eventually. But until then, just enjoy right now," he said softly before dropping Hope into a dip and bringing his lips down to meet hers.

And at that moment, Nik was snapped out of his daze as his gaze wandered over to Hope and Carter, but rather than grow angry, his lips fell into a smile, his wife still in his arms as he said, "She looks happy."

"She feels happy," Isa agreed as she read the emotions that came from their eldest daughter's side of their bond.

"Shall we go?"

Isa turned to him, nerves evident on her face as she said, "Surely you can let her stay a little longer. I mean we've been dancing for -"

"I meant us."

Her eyes widened, relief flooding through her that they weren't about to engage in another bickering session which was what happened when it came to any of Nik's children, especially his daughters having relationships.

"You want to leave Hope with Carter? Who are you and what have you done with my husband?" she joked and Nik smirked as he twirled her away from his body only to spin her back to him, her back flush to his front.

"I make no joke. I trust Hope and I want to spend some time with you," Nik said softly as Isa turned in his arms, hands now resting on his chest.

"What do you want to do then?" she asked, meeting his blue eyes.

His eyes trailed down to her lips and back to her eyes.

"It seems as if it's been a millennium since we've simply strolled the streets of the wonderous city we call our home. Would you care to join me in rectifying that?"

Her kiss was soft, sweet. Loving.

"It would be my greatest pleasure."

And with one last glance and a text explaining where they were going to their daughter, the couple were off, Isa's heels clicking on the stone street as she walked, laughed and talked with her husband, simply enjoying their city and most of all enjoying each others company.

But that had been a dance to remember.

A different kind of dance where there was truly no threat they had to worry about nor look over their shoulder for.

It was truly a good night.