Minho's Cats (HyunMinJiLix)

Pairing: Jisung & Felix & Hyunjin & Minho

Genre: Hybrid AU

!!TW!! : mild angst, they're basically pets and are treated as such by society, implied separation anxiety, briefly mentioned past violence, overprotectiveness

.

.

.

Minho had always loved animals, and he'd always had the softest spot for cats. He had three of them growing up and, when he eventually had to move out to another city for his new job, he was absolutely heartbroken to leave his precious babies behind (they were getting too old and moving them out of the house they'd known for their entire lives wouldn't do any good).

Though Minho absolutely loved his new job, it didn't take long for the loneliness to settle in. He missed having another presence in the house, he missed petting soft fur while watching TV, he missed being lulled to sleep by the peaceful purring of happy kitties – so, he quickly decided that, as soon as he could afford it, then he'd buy a new cat.

A few months later, just as his career as a model was truly kicking off, he'd just reached his apartment building when he stumbled upon quite the sorry sight: a dirty, soaked hybrid huddling in a dark corner near the vents in a feeble attempt to get warmed up. 

Minho's heart clenched and, without really thinking, he invited the hybrid inside. It took a fair amount of coaxing to get the wary hybrid to trust him, but he seemed to sense something in Minho, for he eventually agreed to follow him inside. The moment they entered Minho's apartment, the model urged the poor hybrid to go and take a long shower, promising to leave clean clothes for him by the door.

The hybrid washed up, and Minho was surprised to find that he'd cleaned up quite nicely. He was some sort of cat hybrid, that much was obvious from the somewhat regal way he carried himself, the shape of the inky black ears flickering curiously atop his head, and the slightly sharper teeth that poked out when he opened his mouth to speak for the first time since they met.

("... thank you."

"Of course. My name's Minho, by the way. What's yours?"

"Hyunjin.")

That was how Hyunjin entered his life, and Minho never asked him to leave. The cat hybrid (Maine Coon, he'd found out at some point) was a delightful presence to have around the house, and he almost instantly chased all of Minho's demons away. The loneliness and stress that had slowly begun crushing him were gone, all thanks to Hyunjin. They got along wonderfully, and it didn't take long for Hyunjin to come out of his shell. Life on the streets had made him wary and slightly bitter but, underneath that mask hid an honest, loving individual – one who laughed too loudly at dumb dogs' videos, who cried watching any drama, and... who teased relentlessly.

Minho had made it clear from the start that he didn't want to abuse Hyunjin in any way, but the hybrid was sly and strong-headed – he spent months wearing Minho's patience and control thin until, finally, the model snapped and gave in, much to his delight. And, from here on out, their relationship developed into something a bit more complicated.

Hybrids were either pets or sex toys, so to speak. Despite making up a good part of the population, they weren't legally recognized as people and, as such, they weren't allowed to work regular jobs or live on their own, for example. So, while owning a hybrid was somewhat the norm, and while sleeping with them wasn't exactly frowned upon, outright dating a hybrid... was a bit more controversial.

Because dating a hybrid implied they were seen as someone, rather than something, and not everyone liked that.

Fearing rumors would begin to spread and damage Minho's blooming career, Hyunjin insisted on them hiding their relationship and doing this the legal way, so to speak. So, despite his reluctance, Minho brought Hyunjin along to a Hybrid Regulation Office where he signed official papers to become the hybrid's legal owner. They walked out of there with the papers safely tucked in a file and a brand-new collar with a tag attached loosely to Hyunjin's neck, and that was the end of that.