#44: A Break.

Chapter Forty-Four : "A break."

"Why isn't he picking up?" Rosé muttered to herself.

It had been two whole weeks since Jungkook called her. Since then, no calls, no texts and no replies. Rosé was getting worried and she missed him like hell. She racked her brain to see if she did anything wrong, but nothing came to her mind.

She hesitantly dialled Jin's number, thinking she should at least check on him indirectly. She had not told anyone about Jungkook's ignorance but it felt like if she didn't ask for his members' help, he may never come around. She sighed pressing her phone to her ear. After a couple of rings, Jin picked up, his voice cheerful as ever. "Chaeyoung-ah! I miss you, my dongsaeng."

"Oppa," She called and her voice gave away her pained state to him. After all she was like his sister. He knew her.

-

Jungkook trudged into the BTS dorm after vocal training. He kicked his shoes off and placed them in the cabinet before walking in, removing his jacket in the process. Just as he did, he noticed an addition in the living room.

Roseanne Park.

All his hyungs were present as well, expecting his arrival, but their expressions showing a mixture of anger, anxiety and disappointment. The moment Rosé's eyes caught his, his expression hardened. Rosé however did not react. Her face was blank, like she expected his cold behaviour.

"We'll leave you guys to talk," Jin said quietly, signalling the rest of them to leave but Jungkook stopped them.

"You don't have to hyung. There is nothing to talk about."

Namjoon got up and walked over to him. "What is going on Jungkook? Rosé told us one day you talked to her and ever since the next, you're avoiding her. What is wrong?"

"She would know what is going on." He pointed at her.

"I actually don't..." Rosé said patiently, standing up to face him. She placed a hand on Namjoon's shoulder, gently moving him a few steps to the side so that she could face Jungkook properly.

"Really?" Jungkook challenged, taking a step towards her. Jimin sprung up, worried that Jungkook might hurt Rosé in his potentially rash actions but she held up a hand, not wanting anyone to be involved. It was between her and her boyfriend anyway.

"Yea, really."

"I refuse to believe you're that innocent but fine. I know the day you claimed to be working in Teddy's studio, you were with Mark." There he said it.

"What? The last time I saw him was at the party." She creased her eyebrows. She never went near him even since he vowed to take her away from Jungkook.

"I don't think so. He told me himself." Jungkook snapped, his patience running low.

"And you believed that because..?" She trailed off, confused about how he would just trust Mark's words without conviction.

"Because of this." He displayed his phone in front of her, a selfie of her and Mark on the screen. "Is this evidence enough?"

"Wow, I can't believe you Jeon Jungkook." Rosé muttered. A selfie shown by Mark, and he believes it.

"You can't believe me? I can't believe you!" He shouted, his anger reaching its limit. "Park Chaeyoung! You go around flirting with a man who clearly wants you even though you're with me and you expect me to just ignore it?" Rosé tried to interrupt but he raised his voice. "YOU ARE LITERALLY PLAYING AROUND! YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS TO BE ANGRY-"

"Stop shouting at me." She said quietly, her eyes levelling his. His words got stuck in his throat when she said that. He did not know why but her quiet, steady voice made his anger vanish and a newfound anxiety and uncertainty rooted in him.

Rosé pointed a finger at him. "First of all, stop accusing me of something I did not do. Second, use your brain. Compare this picture with this one." She allowed him to take another look at the selfie before showing him the picture Mark had sent him from the party.

"See anything similar?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"It's the same dress..." Jungkook said slowly, the meaning of her words hitting him.

"And the same barista behind us." she finished. "It was taken on the same damn day Jungkook."

"I never saw him again Jungkook. And I haven't lied to you. At all. I thought you'd know that."

Jungkook flushed. He couldn't believe he let Mark cloud his ability to see reason; to actually doubt her. Why couldn't he see that he was lying? Why did he believe him so blindly? Why did he convince himself that she was cheating on him?

"Fuck..." he gripped his hair. "I am so sorry." he clasped her hand between both of his, almost pleading for her forgiveness.

"I know you are." She said, her voice quiet but terse. "But this just proves how little trust you have in me."

"No Chae, that's not it-"

"Then what is it?" she cut him off.

"Look, I know what it looks like. But that isn't it. Think from my perspective please. What am I supposed to make of it if I saw you with a guy?" His voice desperate.

"You could have come to me for answers. Like I did when you had a damn dating scandal!" Her voice shook but he did not make the mistake of thinking she was about to cry. It was from anger.

She let out a breath before continuing. "I'm not saying this to spite you but I need to make my point. I saw a picture of a girl hugging you but I didn't for a second doubt you. My members, the most trusted people in my life, told me you were cheating but I told them off for you. I chose to trust you even though I hadn't heard an explanation yet. You saw a picture which was just a selfie where we aren't even touching and what did you do?"

Jungkook hung his head low. Her voice was soft, filled with hurt and disappointment. She didn't shout. He wished she would though. It would hurt a lot less.

"Jungkook, you labelled me a flirt and cut it off without even telling me why. If I had known, I would have given you an explanation. But I didn't know. You let me stay in the dark and suffer for something for something I didn't do." She let go of his hand. "That's your trust?"

That was it. Jungkook broke down. His body hit the couch, burying his face in his hands, his body shaking as he cried. He was not crying because of her, but because he was disappointed in himself and he knew he disappointed Rosé and his hyungs.

His hyungs wanted to interfere but they knew it was between the couple. It won't be right to step in. This kind of problem needed to be solved by them. Besides what would they say? They knew Jungkook's decision was ill-advised and Rosé's reaction was justifiable but they also knew they won't be helping by pointing it out because the couple already knew.

Rosé did not even hesitate before dropping to her knees in front of him. She may be hurt and angry because of him, but she still loved him. Him crying was still unbearable for her. He may look big and mighty but inside was a soft and sensitive man who got hurt easily. She gently pried his hands away from his eyes, revealing his tear stained face.

She held his face gently, using her thumb to wipe his fallen tears but her gesture just made him cry harder. He leaned over, hiding his face in the crook of her neck, the side of his head resting on her shoulder while his body was hunched over, trembling. Rosé sighed, holding him gently. She felt Taehyung squat down next to her, rubbing her back in an attempt for comfort while Hobi sat next to Jungkook, a hand on his shoulder.

When Rosé tried to make him look up so that she could talk to him, he just gripped the back of her jacket tighter, not letting go. He was afraid if he did, she won't let him hold her again.

"Jungkook." She called, her voice gentle but firm, and he reluctantly looked at her, lifting his head up. "Drink." She passed him a glass of water that Yoongi placed on the table. He obeyed her silently, taking a few sips and wiping his face dry on his sleeve.

"Better?" He nodded, bracing himself for what came next.

"I think we need a break."