3.8

Students and teachers alike were gathered by a long dueling stage. Lockhart walked up one side, dressed in a dueling uniform.
'Gather round! Gather round. Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me?'

'Great Merlin.' Sirius groaned, 'what's that idiot going to do now.'

'I wish I couldn't.' Alyssa muttered making Blaise snort.
'Excellent. In the light of dark events of recent weeks, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little Dueling Club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves, as I myself have done on countless occasions. For full details, see my published works.'

'I'd rather skin myself alive.' Alyssa said bluntly and Ron looked slightly disturbed.
'What? Would you prefer to read that arrogant peacock's garbage?'
'Fair point.'

Lockhart removed his cape and tossed it to some female students who fangirled over him. Alyssa rolled her eyes, giving Theo a wide eyed look as if to say 'what the fuck' which he mirrored. The Weasley twins were sniggering in the back and Ron and Harry exchanged incredulous looks.

'Ugh.' Bella turned her nose up in disgust at Lockhart.

'I think his mind may be infested by Nargles.'

Alyssa jumped and turned quickly to see Luna at her shoulder looking thoughtfully at Lockhart.

Luna nodded,
'I stick by what I said.'
'It's very possible.' Xeno agreed as the others look at the two of them sceptically with the exception of Alyssa and Pandora. Peter also seemed to believe it,
'That's so cool, what are Nargles?'

'I have a book explaining lots of magical creatures- there's a section on Nargles so you can borrow it if you like.'
'Really?! Cool thanks!' Peter grinned at Luna who beamed back. Sirius scoffed,
'She's having you on Pete. Nargles aren't real.'
'Did you just call my daughter a liar.' Pandora raised an eyebrow at Sirius.
'What- i- never mind.'
He gave up after realising everyone seemed to be silently laughing at him. Remus patted him on the back sympathetically making Sirius rest his head on the werewolf's shoulder with a pout.

'I've never heard of Nargles before, are they a magical creature.'
'Yes. I can teach you about them if you'd like.'
'I'm gonna hold you to that.'

No one missed the genuine smile on Luna's face at Alyssa's interest and lack of teasing and Pandora smiled warmly at Alyssa.

'Let me introduce my assistant...Professor Snape. He has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry. You'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him. Never fear.'

'I never thought I'd say this, but I really hope you beat him.' James said to Severus.

Theo smirked,
'Well this should be good.'
'What d'you mean?'Seamus asked him.
'Snape embarrassing Lockhart.' Theo explained making Alyssa and Blaise grin whilst Daphne gave him a disapproving look, barely masking her amusement at the thought.
'Can't wait.' Seamus said longingly, 'it's a win win no matter what- Lockhart wins then Snape's embarrassed, Snape wins then Lockhart's embarrassed.'
They all sniggered before turning their attention back to the two professors.

Severus looked slightly put out.

Lockhart and Snape took their positions, getting into stance. Lockhart's being nonchalant and overconfident, while Snape's was serious and defensive.
'One. Two. Three.'
'Expelliarmus!'

Lockhart was then thrown back, not even able to block it. Alyssa and Theo high fived whilst Hermione looked concerned. Ron and Harry laughing obviously.