5.1

'Harry? There you are. You came. Now, are you sure about this, Harry? You know, this is very advanced magic, well beyond the Ordinary Wizarding Level.'
'I'm sure.'
'Well, everything's prepared. Now, the spell I'm going to try to teach you is called the Patronus Charm. Did you ever hear of it? No? Well, a Patronus is a kind of positive force, and for the wizard or witch who can conjure one, it works something like a shield with the dementor feeding on it rather than them. But in order for it to work, you need to think of a memory. Not just any memory, a very happy memory, a powerful memory. Can you do this? Yes? Very well. Close your eyes. Concentrate. Explore your past. Do you have a memory? Allow it to fill you up. Lose yourself within it. Then, speak the incantation, Expecto Patronum.'

'The patronus charm is definitely very advanced for a 3rd year.' Remus nodded.

'Expecto Patronum.'
'Very good. Shall we? Wands at the ready.'

Harry got ready as Remus unlocked the chest. He opened it, a dementor flying out of the chest.

'Remus what the fuck!' Marlene exclaimed.
'Did you just set a dementor on my son?' James asked.
'You see, Prongs, you should be more worried about Moony killing Harry, not me!' Sirius said making Remus roll his eyes.

'Expecto Patronum! Expecto...Expect... Expect...'

'Harry!' Lily exclaimed worriedly.
'Wow! Real smart Moony!' James scoffed.
'Yeah Moony, stop trying to kill Harry!'
'Oh cause you're one to talk Sirius.' Regulus snorted.

'Here we go. Come on. Sit up. Deep breaths. It's all right. I didn't expect you to do it the first time. That would have been remarkable. Here. Eat this. You'll feel better.'
'That's one nasty dementor.'
'Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no. That was a boggart, Harry. A boggart. The real thing would be worse. Much, much worse.'

'Oh! That makes more sense- thanks Moony.' James nodded.

'As a matter of interest, what were you thinking? Which memory did you choose?'
'The first time I rode a broom.'

'He really is my son.' James sniffled, wiping fake tears from his eyes making Lily roll her eyes.
'That definitely wouldn't be a strong enough memory, regardless of how much he loved flying.' Regulus commented.

'Well, that's not good enough. Not nearly good enough.'
'There's another. It's not happy, exactly. Well, it is. It's the happiest I've ever felt...but it's complicated.'
'Is it strong?'
Harry nodded.
'Then let's give them a try. You feel ready?'
'Just do it.'

Remus opened the chest again, the dementor shaped boggart soaring out.
'Expecto Patronum! Expecto Patronum!'

A bright white lights shot from his wand, creating a shield, preventing the boggart from coming close.

'YESSS! Well done son!' James cheered loudly.

'Whoa!'
'Yes! Well done, Harry. Well done!'
'I think I've had enough...for today.'
'Yes. Sit down. Here, eat this, it helps. It really helps. And just you know, Harry, I think you would've given your father a run for his money. And that is saying something.'

'Excuse me?' James scoffed, 'given ME a run for my money- that's impossible, I mean, just look at me. Merlin Moony, I can't believe you. Was it not possible for you to compliment him without insulting his father- his dead father, might I add.'
'No one cares Potter.' Marlene sang, flicking his head making him yelp and then glare at her.

'I was thinking of him...and Mum. Seeing their faces. They were talking to me. Just talking. That's the memory I chose. I don't even know if it's real, but it's the best I have.'