PERSISTENT | e. jaeger

[MODERN AU!] eren | gender-neutral!reader

     "hey y/n!" pieck's head poke out from the entrance of your office, smiling. "you look busy, it's already lunch." walking inside, she closed the glass door and headed to your desk to check what you were working on.

     chuckling, you fixed your glasses and ran a hand through your hair out. "i just have a lot of work today, that's all. i'm afraid i won't be able to pass it before the deadline." sighing, you tried to keep the effects of stress to yourself, but pieck already saw the tired look in your eyes.

     the woman smiled softly and shook her head, grabbing your wrist. "come on, let's get you a well-deserved coffee break."

     despite claiming that you don't need it, pieck managed to convince you to join her outside. the coffee shop that she has been waiting to open was finally in business, and after trying it out, she's instantly hooked. you've lost count of how many times she tried to convince you and your co-workers to visit, you're sure she's their ambassador with how she highly talks about it.

     you entered the building, instantly relaxing at the wonderful aroma that engulfs you like a warm hug.

     you could almost taste the coffee in your tongue, the sweetness and bitterness of the caffeine balanced just right. pieck lead you to the back of the line, already long and busy as it's the afternoon. you licked your lips as you read the menu for some sweets to fill up your stomach, eyeing the f/f that they have. 

     the line shortens and soon it's your turn to order. you grabbed your wallet, ready to tell your order that you've recited moments prior as to not mess it up. the staff in front of you, however, excuses herself first and apologizes. she calls out for a man at the back, phone in hand as she removed her hair tie, letting her black hair fall over her shoulders gracefully.

     "i have a call, it's an emergency. cover for me real quick." the woman didn't wait for the man's response, leaving the counter and heading to the staff's room.

     "uh, sorry, sorry, give me a second please." you eyed as the new guy, brown hair tied into a bun and beautiful green eyes, take a random apron and hurriedly tied it around his waist. he cleared his throat, clearly embarrassed before turning to face you.

     "sorry for the wait, may i take your order?" he asked. 

     nodding, you began reciting your order fluently, cheering for not messing it up like you used to. as he calculated your order and wrote your name on the cup, you took the time to admire him. beautiful skin, bright green eyes that could capture anyone's attention from afar, his brown hair in a messy bun that frames him so well. you read his name tag, mumbling it to yourself.

     eren. it suits him.

     "by the way, do you have oat milk?" you asked, "to go with my drink."

     "uh, no, i'm sorry. we just have regular milk and almond milk," he answered after he checked the back for the milk you wanted. your shoulders deflate and a frown replaced your hopeful look, though you tried to shake it away as you nodded.

     "it's alright," you left the line and went to the side to wait for your name to be called, heading to the empty table that pieck saved once she was done taking her order. you sat down in front of her, running a hand through your hair. the frown from earlier was still there, and when pieck gave you a confused look, you had to answer. "they don't have oat milk..."