GRADUATES | a. arlert

[MODERN AU!] armin | gender-neutral!reader

     "i can't believe we finally finished college," you breathed out, a nervous chuckle following after, "i think i'm not ready for this."

     the grip on your diploma was starting to tighten, though you tried to ease your nerves in fear of damaging something so serious and important to you. you worked your ass off for many years just to get where you are now and you'd rather not be careless and ruin it in a matter of seconds.

     beside you in the car was your date, armin arlert, chuckling and holding your hand to help you calm down. the two of you graduated the same day, different courses but high achievers either way. it was not surprising how the two of you clicked so well, what with being one of the smart students on the campus.

     "calm down, y/n, we just graduated today." armin squeezed your hand comfortingly, "all you have to worry about for now is the party, okay? have some fun! get loose!"

     you laughed warmly, heart still thrumming against your chest. "says you. if i recall, you're the one who doesn't get loose in parties."

     "as much as i want to, someone has to drive us back home sober." he teased, turning to you with a smile. "so why not drink for me? is that better?"

     you rolled your eyes but nodded nonetheless, looking out the window just to see the mansion where the party was being held. historia reiss, if you recall, owns it and was kind enough to be the host and provide the venue for the after-party of your graduating batch.

     it was already dark outside, the moon glowing high in the night sky. the mansion was just as bright as the moon, enough to replace a lighthouse if it so wishes. artificial lights flash across the sky, switching from light to different colors on the rainbow.

     "you're friends with her, right?" you asked armin as he parked the car by the sidewalk. more cars were already parked across the street and the party had reached the garden, some college graduates mingling on the grass or sidewalks. you could even hear the faint music and cheers just inside the car, all loud sounds originating from inside. it was a good thing there weren't many houses near the mansion, otherwise a noise complaint would stop the party fully. "this is amazing. she really is rich, i thought the rumors were exaggerating."

     "we are friends," he answered after turning off the engine, "she's very kind, doesn't let money define her."

     the two of you went inside the mansion, the party already in full swing. loud pop music plays from the speakers all over the house, flashing colorful lights that almost blinded the two of you. some of the party-goers were acquaintances from different classes and friends you have communication with, congratulating each other and simply catching up.

     armin had excused himself that time, deciding to greet his closest friends and historia first before accompanying you for the rest of the party.

     "y/n! i thought i saw you!" you looked up and spotted an old friend of yours heading towards you with a big grin, arms spread wide open for a hug.