STARS | r. braun

[MODERN AU!] reiner | fem!reader

     you scowled at the continuous ring from your phone, the caller id flashing and showing that the person calling you was your boyfriend, reiner. with a grunt, you turned off your phone and threw it at the bed in frustration, preferring not to be bothered by anyone. you were lucky that the object did not bounce off and land on the tiled floors, otherwise, you'd start crying and throw a huge tantrum in the middle of the room.

     were you exaggerating? maybe.

     turning back to the blank paper in front of you with a sharp glare, you picked up your pen and scribbled words and phrases while also pausing to think. you tried to calm down to think more and focus on your work while playing with your chapped lips until you tasted the familiar metallic taste of your blood.

     why am i working late on a saturday?

     you sighed dejectedly, licked your lips, and leaned back on your chair, eyes trained on the paper scribbled with notes and whatnot. you felt bad for ignoring reiner's calls (since yesterday!) but you could not afford any distractions for the time being. you were packed with work from your company, and files that never ended and their due date was approaching faster than you anticipated. you didn't have any decent meals since then and sleep comes once in a blue moon.

     that alone made you tired, stressed out, and panicky for the past few days since you started. every little thing that came across you irked you and you ignored most of your friends or families to focus and dedicate your time to the work you had to do. you felt guilty, especially to reiner, when they tried to help you or showed their concerns. they understood what was happening, but they only hoped you could take care of yourself before you break.

     and when it comes to a break, you need sleep and reiner. you've missed him even if you were kind of the reason why you didn't hear anything from him, you wanted to make it up to the blond. it's a wonder how he can manage your workaholic and busy ass.

     you groaned and pinched your cheeks, forcing yourself to keep your eyes wide awake for you to finish one of the works you were bestowed upon. you blinked and focused on the words written, a frown on your lips as you read it again and again. you erased your poor choice of word and wrote another, the process repeating for the first five minutes.

     the sudden knock on your apartment door jolted you out of your writing and focus. you put down your pen and checked the clock on your desk, brows furrowed in confusion.

     who the hell thought it was okay to visit at two o'clock?

     you rubbed your eyes to get rid of its sleepiness, standing up while running a hand through your h/c tresses to make yourself look presentable. you made your way to the door, fists clenched to a punch in case the unexpected visitor was actually a murderer on loose. you slowly opened the door, peeking your head through the gap. your tired yet alerted eyes softened suddenly and you quickly swung the door wide, the light from the inside illuminating the silhouette in front of you.

     your boyfriend stood in front of you, a box of chocolates in his hand while flashing a grin. "hello, babe." he greeted with energy, "i missed you so much. you should stop working for now, you look like shit. seriously, did you even take a break? this is concerning--"