COME BACK | e. smith

erwin | fem!reader

     "what?!" your tone was harsher than you intended it to be. you stared at your husband wide-eyed and agape, perplexed at what he just said. erwin smiled gently as an attempt to calm you down but it was futile. you were already pacing back and forth in the comfort of your small home, a frown etched across your lips. while your eyes flashed around furiously, there were tears you were holding at bay.

     "my love, please calm down." he stood beside you and consoled you, placing a gentle hand on your shoulder. you stopped your movements before suddenly pulling erwin in a bone-crushing hug and finally, you let all of your emotions pour down. he hugged you back with his one arm, whispering sweet words in an attempt to calm your sobbing form down. hot tears stained his uniform as you sobbed your anxieties and worries out ever since the day he joined the survey corps.

     seeing you cry painfully was one of the things that make his heartache, no matter how silly the reason might be. he couldn't. just seeing the joy in your eyes disappear made him want to take his words back but the damage has already been done.

     "erwin, please. i can't lose you again." you pleaded with your voice breaking midway, hands gripping his shirt tight as if he was going to fade away. he lifted your chin and wiped the tears but new ones kept falling. he settled on pecking your lips, cradling your face gently.

     he gazed at your e/c irises with a frown, silently wishing to remove the sadness that clouded your beautiful eyes. "trust me, love," he spoke gently, "i'll come back to you, no matter what." erwin smiled and pulled you in a tight hug. you whimpered, afraid of the future that would destine his fate when they reclaim wall maria.

     you wanted to believe him badly. you wanted to see him off with positive thoughts because in every mission he'd been on, he would come back to you. however, your mind was in a frenzy. you thought of every possible horrid outcome when they finally set off, making you even queasier.

     when erwin came home with only one arm one day, you absolutely lost it. the blond almost sacrificed himself to save eren jaeger, without any regard to his life. that did not sit well with you, even going as far as asking him to resign as a commander, in fear of having his life taken away from your grasp. you knew how bitchy it sounded but you were selfish, you didn't want the love of your life to disappear for the greater good.

      erwin had always been a gambler. with his life and the others to find out the truth or to come out with smart strategies. his execution as well as the survey corps' was such sudden news to you, they had to pay for the crimes they didn't do with death. as if they didn't have to deal enough with titans. pixis, the commander of the garrison, had to hold you back when you found out. you attempted to march over the castle and let them rethink it but you calmed down a bit when he comforted you with a simple "erwin has a plan". you were still furious, just at the thought of it, and also feared the fact that erwin might get hanged in front of an audience.

     you almost lost him twice and you couldn't lose him again. the pain would be too much. you couldn't live in this horrible world without the soulmate you were destined with.

     "come back to me, erwin."

— ❂ —