A PERFECT SOLDIER | l. ackerman

levi | shy!asthmatic!reader

requested

     y/n l/n, one of the 104th graduates who joined the survey corps, was born with asthma that she inherited from her mother's side. her mother, upon learning this, was very protective when it came to her and she didn't let her daughter play outside, and so, y/n was stuck with her books and house chores. growing up, she had no interest in doing any physical activities, for her mother told her that it was best not to or else she'd get hurt. however, it all changed after they received a message that her father, a squad leader from a military branch called survey corps, died saving a fellow soldier from the hands of a titan during the fall of wall maria in year 845.

     y/n looked up to her father in many attributes, even if he didn't often come home, and upon learning his death that plagued her and her mother with sadness, she told herself that she wanted to die being a hero and not cooped up in a house as she dies of old age. y/n told her grieving mother immediately that she wanted to join the trainee corps, even if she barely had an idea on how to do simple physical activities without fear in her mind. she could barely remember what happened throughout but she knew that there were a lot of yelling and tears, partly because her mother didn't want her dying just like how her father did and partly due to her health issues and how she might die before she could even leave the walls.

     she had a slight idea on how intense and hard the training would be and it didn't help that she had to do it for three years, but y/n convinced her mother that she'd graduate and come back alive as a soldier of survey corps.

     and so, the three years of training was truly hell. y/n didn't leave her house when she was a child, except for times when she had to help her mother with groceries, so talking and making friends were not in her book. she had no idea what to do or even say, so she chose to not stand out so much and keep everything to herself. 

     however, you could say that she did make a friend. an acquaintance, rather. her name was sasha braus and the girl was loud and cheerful, forcing herself to be y/n's friend despite the awkwardness in the latter's eyes.

     when the first week of training happened, she already had a hard time doing the simple stuff. the instructor found out that she lied in her form, saying that she was healthy when she was out of breath and pale after two laps around the camp. she promised instructor keith that she can do all the training, and that she was determined to finish the three years if he gave her the chance.

     the hand-to-hand combats were not her favorite type of training because every time, her partner goes easy on her in fear of somewhat killing her after everyone learned that she has asthma. running laps around the camp or through the dark forest with carrying something heavy was something she also hated, because in the end, she'd be the last person to finish it (sometimes with armin) or someone would offer to carry it for her out of pity.

     any type of physical activities that had to go on for hours was not her type.

     y/n lost count of having to rush to the clinic after a few hours of training, when she would feel her chest tighten in pain and her lungs suddenly collapsing. there were times where she fainted due over-training herself and they had to let her rest for a few days, missing some of her training.

     she'd get earfuls from keith shadis, higher-ups, the doctors and nurses, telling her to go home and do something better because she'd easily be titan bait, but she ignored them altogether and continued training. she'd get used to it, somehow, and she knew it. she was determined to finish those three years and graduate, fuck it if she was the weakest link, she'd train hard and do her best just to prove her worth and show the world that she had the right to protect the humanity even with her weakness.