WELCOME BACK | h. zoe

hanji | fem!reader

     gossips were already running around as you step out of your little home with your child holding your hand. her red hair bounced as she skipped towards the market, gripping your hand tightly as to not get lost among the population. her pale green eyes skim around the crowd, often tugging at your hand to point at something she found interesting.

     you could only chuckle at your five-year-old child, "calm down, natalia, you don't want to get lost, do you?" the said red-head only pouted but followed you to a fruit stall, looking around with childish wonder and often greeting strangers.

     with one hand on your child and another looking through the juicy fruitd, the stall owner whom you learned to be marie leaned over with a smile plastered on her face. "oh y/n, it's been a while since i saw you!" she chuckled, before turning to your side to see your child playing with the basket she held. "and natalia, hello! how are you doing, sweetheart?"

     "am fine!" the said child answered, earning a laugh from the woman.

     "well then," marie turned to you who was still busy looking for that perfect apples you've been craving, "have you heard, love? the survey corps are going to retake wall maria!" she exclaimed with enthusiasm, "ah, i can't wait to go back to my home. i hope they succeed." she muttered with a loving smile on her face to which you returned.

     "oh don't worry marie, i'm sure they will." you chirped out as you bought five apples from her, "i have faith that they will."

     you bid your goodbye and made your way to the other stalls, making sure that all vegetables and meat you wanted to buy was available and fresh. it might've been a little too out of your budget, but the food you were planning to cook was for a special occassion.

     soon enough, you and your child returned back home with baskets full of food. you closed the door and sighed, running a hand through your messy h/c locks before putting the basket on the table while natalia removes her shoes.

     "mama, when mommy coming home?" she suddenly asked, a frown decorating her lips as she sat down on the couch. you smiled warmly and knelt down in front of her, caressing her cheeks as you pressed a kiss on her forehead. "i miss her... is work busy? can we visit?"

     you laughed softly at her (adorable) minimal vocabulary and smiled, "don't worry, love, mommy's coming back home soon enough. just be patient, okay?"

     despite the pout she wore, she slowly nodded and ran upstairs to play with her toys after you told her to do so while you fix everything you've bought.

     your hand instinctively went to the pocket of your dress, feeling the paper crumple up slightly at your touch. wearing a smile as you carefully place the food you brought on their respected places, you began reading the same letter you've read a thousand times.

my love,

hello, y/n! how are you and natalia? i'm sorry i couldn't visit as much these following months. if you read the news, we were in a dilemma and well, i couldn't leave my fellow comrades to fend off for themselves! the government was such a dick, as well as dads! don't worry about me though, i can hear you scolding me even from afar. i assure you, i'm fine! just a few burns and a stab wound, nothing to worry about hahaha!

i can already imagine your petrified face, so calm down, love. i'm okay, really, and moblit's being a mom to keep me safe. wait, he's always a mom. i think i saw his hair turning gray hahaha oops?