SAFE | m. ackerman

mikasa | fem!reader

the stain of red that colors the pavement,
painted with blood of somebody you love
— survive said the prophet, red

     you breathed out tiredly, your legs swinging lazily over the edge of wall rose. you watch the sun slowly set down across the horizon, giving the sky a tint of orange and yellow. the wind ruffled your hair, flocks of birds flying by as the soldiers lead the horses down to the other side of the wall using the lifts. everyone was chattering about, soldiers mumbling to themselves due to fear and anxiety. the higher-ups were discussing their plan of taking eren and ymir back, who were captured by reiner and bertholdt not too long ago.

     it surprised you how there were military police joining the mission, wouldn't they be just a hindrance? nevertheless, you didn't question it. survey corps did need a handful of soldiers after the 57th expedition.

     some of your friends were talking among themselves, retelling the events of the supposed breach that happened hours ago. you didn't want to join and listen in, you were too preoccupied about the well-being of a certain woman. you knew that having her only family taken away from her once again would affect her emotionally to the point that her emotionless facade would break and she'd act without thinking. you only hoped that she won't act too much and rush in without thinking like she always does.

     "y/n." you almost jumped from your seat at someone calling for you. you were too swallowed up with your own thoughts that you didn't notice that the aforementioned female had sneaked up on you, placing a hand on your shoulder in case you stumble from your place.

     "mikasa, hi." you greeted quietly, your heart rate slowing down from its nervous state as you exhaled. the female smiled apologetically before sitting down beside you, only to look across the green field that shined under the sun's glory. you turned your attention back to the beautiful yet chaotic world, eyes focused as you watch for any sign of... something. the land was too quiet and still, something was definitely not right. you felt sick and you could feel your guts moving about, and you knew something bad would happen later on.

     your cheeks warmed up once you felt fingers wrap around your own, giving your hand a reassuring squeeze. you look down at your lap and at the intertwined hands before looking at mikasa who held you, not meeting your eyes. you dropped your gaze back to your lap, a small smile on your face as you squeeze her hand as a response. the bad feeling in your gut simmered down and you felt more relaxed than a while ago.

     with mikasa silently comforting you in her own way, you knew that you didn't have to worry about anything. survey corps will take eren and ymir back, you knew of it.

     though, you're not entirely sure why mikasa was comforting you. instead, you should be the one comforting her. she did lose eren and wasn't able to protect him, if he isn't back by then, she'd go berserk.

     "we'll take eren back, don't worry," you mumbled reassuringly, running your thumb across her knuckles. she tensed up at the mention of his name but she calmed down once she saw the smile on your lips and the caring e/c hues staring up at her. she nodded, returning the smile with her own one despite feeling forced and awkward. your heart fluttered at her attempt and you couldn't help but giggle at it; she was too cute.

     another moment of silence passed and both of you reveled in it. you scooted close to her until your thighs touched and you were able to place your head on her shoulder, closing your eyes to enjoy the serene atmosphere for just a minute.