CANDIES | m. ackerman

[MODERN AU!] mikasa | gender-neutral!reader

     "mikasa!" you jogged up to your silent girlfriend at the sidewalk, who stopped walking as soon as she heard you and waited for you to catch up.

     the school has just ended and you've been looking for mikasa the whole day to invite her to a special occasion that you love and adore. the last time you saw her for the day was before classes started. after that, both of you were whisked away with different school works and classes. even lunch was a separate time for the two of you.

     you assumed she was already walking home by the time the bell rang, she never waited for her half-brother to go home together considering that he always had some basketball practice. people often mistake them as a couple with how close they were, much to your dismay, so you took it upon yourself to show a little pda now and then which stopped those pesky rumors.

     "hello y/n," she greeted with a small smile, snatching your hand to hold it in hers. "how were your classes today?" she asked, both of you continuing your walk back home. you grinned at her concern and looked ahead, letting out a sigh of happiness as you recall your day to her.

     many thought that mikasa was somehow emotionless; she doesn't smile, she's quiet and she always has that blank face plastered on. though she could be scary when she was annoyed and mad, not many see that side of her nor do they want to. what they don't know is how normal she is just like the rest of the people. you knew that yourself. she only shows her emotions with the people she loves and trusts. she's comfortable whenever she's with you. she has that beautiful glimmer in her eyes and a small smile plastered on her face whenever you do something stupid, that was enough.

     to think that she always does that whenever she's with you always makes your heart flutter.

     "anyways, mikasa!" you clapped your hands together as you whipped your head to face her, "me and the guys are going trick or treating this weekend! you should come with us!"

     mikasa laughed quietly, shaking her head. "no thank you, i don't have the time for that."

     you pouted as she declined, running in front of mikasa and blocking her way as you pleaded with crocodile tears pricking the corner of your eyes. "please! we can go and match costumes! you can be bucky and i can be captain america or anything you like, just come with us, please?" you begged, staring at her with the best puppy eyes you could muster. instead, she peered at your soul. you shuddered for the first time since dating her, thinking that you probably pissed her off and your puppy eyes did the exact opposite.

     "i don't want to, y/n. that's final." mikasa answered firmly, her soft voice now hard and harsh that sent a pang to your heart. "i don't want to waste my time going door to door asking for candies." she went around your form and grabbed your wrist, dragging you along the sidewalk and continuing your trek back home. you pouted and followed your girlfriend nonetheless, thinking of ways to get her to agree to come with you and your friends.

     "but it's the spooky season! and there are candies, mikasa. plus it will be fun with our friends, even eren's coming. here, i'll even bet that jean will wear a horse costume"

     "what are you? ten? we're not kids anymore, y/n." mikasa snapped, rolling her eyes at your poor attempt to persuade her. you swallowed a lump and let out a nervous chuckle, the calm atmosphere the two of you had slowly turned heavy and tense to the point that it was suffocating.