BROKEN | m. bodt

marco | fem!reader

     screams and cries rang through your ears, deafening you as you ran and ran. your mother's hold on your wrist tightened, dragging your small body to a place she told you was safe. crowds of people pushed past you, threatening to break your hold with your mother.

     loud thuds matched with the shaking of the ground, sometimes far away from you two but sometimes near and when your mother could feel it, she'd turn to another direction.

     your eyes wondered up above where smokes decorated the sky, making it a beautiful disaster. though your mother didn't tell you what was happening, the loud crash that receded from the walls earlier gave you an idea to what it was. the monsters your mother told you about barged through the tall walls of wall maria that your fellow people worshiped for, killing people one at a time.

     "come on, y/n. just one more!" your mother urged you on, smiling to calm you down and dissipate your fears. you could only stare at her with your big e/c eyes, confused yet you agreed, before turning your attention back on the street.

     your mother turned to a narrow alleyway, a shortcut she knew about. with the fast running and sweaty hands of your mother threatening to slip away, you fell down almost immediately after a sharp turn. your knees were bloody and wounded as you fell, the skin scraping against the rough cement.

     tears immediately stung your ears, the stinging of the pain never going away and you couldn't find the will to stand up. your mother, realizing that you were gone, turned around and saw you knelt down on the cement with tears receding down your face

     she immediately ran after you, holding out her hand to help you up and to urge you to run again.

     yet everything happened so fast.

     the giant monsters your mother would always tell you about appeared out of nowhere, blocking your mother's path to you. she stopped short, horror twinkling in her eyes as she looked up at the huge form. she was a few metres away from you and the titan yet the attention of the titan was focused solely on her. it seems that it didn't notice you yet.

     you could only look up at the titan's back, fear present in your eyes. you couldn't move nor scream, you were too scared to do so. one wrong move would cost you your life.

     you caught your mother's gaze, tears streaking down her somewhat calm expression. she smiled, a warm yet terrifying smile, and mouthed one word only.

     "run."

   three weeks after the fall of wall maria, you learned to live on your own at age ten. the residents of wall maria either died or became homeless, their home dominated by the titans.

    your food for the past few weeks were nothing but stale bread and little water that was given by the military police. you turned an abandoned cottage to a habitable home, with few kids staying with you that helped you clean the house and make it presentable.

     while staying outside, sitting on the stairs of your so-called home, a freckled boy around your age was skipping down the path with a covered basket in his hand. he was humming a lovely tune from what you could tell from afar, his eyes twinkling with happiness as he looked around.