8.Smoking Gun

Your the only one I love
The only man I know that I can trust
And if I ever should need you I know you'd come ready to kill with a smoking gun...

It's been weeks since that night happened at Justin's house. It's like one minute I was sitting at the bar with his two friends taking shots having a good time actually enjoying myself, then the next thing I knew I started to feel light headed, the room was spinning and I felt like I was having a panic attack. I tried to stand up from the bar but as soon as I did it's like my legs gave out and I fell  right back in the chair. My vision started becoming blurry and I could hear Lamar and Jacobi whispering but I couldn't make out what they were saying. The next thing I knew I felt one of them tugging at my pants like they were trying to unbuckle them and I flipped out. I instantly grabbed the bottle that we were taking shots from and cracked one of them in the head, as soon as I heard it bust I got up and started running up the stairs. I bust my shit trying to run up them but I didn't let that stop me  I just kept going in fear that they were behind me. Once I made it to the front door I snatched it open and took off running. I ran and ran until I finally made it back to my motel room. As soon as I got inside I cut off all the lights then locked myself in the bathroom. Them trying to violate me brought back so many memories that I tried my best to bury these last few months. I laid on the bathroom floor and cried until I was numb. Ariel was blowing my phone up and I heard her banging on the door multiple times but I never moved from the spot I was in. My trust was messed up and I'm not saying that she had a hand in any of what almost went down but I wasn't leaving shit to chance. I would have never been put in that situation if it wasn't for her. I needed to go back in my bubble and stay there. I hadn't been back to work since it happened but I was good because I had a few dollars saved up to hold me over. I was back a nervous wreck and I found myself looking over my shoulder again. The only good news I've received was that I passed my GED test and now I could look for a better legitimate job. I had a interview at a grocery store not to far from the room I was staying at so I got myself together and made my way there.

Everything went well and the manger told me I could start next week. I was happy as hell. First my passing results from my test and now this. Since I was here I decided to grab me a few things that I could make in the microwave. I got in the checkout lane and a girl rung up my items.

You just had an interview didn't you?

Yea.

That's what's up, the job is pretty laid back and cool for the most part. Every now and then you get some aggy ass customer but it comes with the territory. When do you start?

A week from today.

Cool, I'm Lauren.

Hey, I'm Hope.

That's different.

I know my mom was one of those extra people I told her chuckling.

Well I'll see you next week she said handing me my bags and receipt. 

Ok, bye I told her once I had my stuff then left to exit the store.

As soon as I did my heart damn near stopped. Justin, Jacobi and Lamar were all walking my way. I tried to quickly walk by them with my head down but Jacobi called my name and all three of them literally stopped in front of me.

Damn I ain't see yo ass since you hit me in my shit with that bottle. I been having banging ass headaches because of that shit.

That's your fault, you should've kept your hands to yourself.

Bitch I'll smack yo ass he said stepping into my face.

We got a problem here Lil niggas?

I looked behind me and there was Legend smoking a wood.

Nah Legend everything good, just talking to our friend from school Jacobi told him.

If y'all just talking why you all in her personal space?

Jacobi couldn't even respond.

Exactly lil nigga move around before it be a problem.

They quickly walked off and Jacobi made sure he said some smart shit.

Hope I'll see you around believe that.

As soon as he said it Legend flicked his wood then hemmed him up against the building damn near off his feet.

That sound like a threat, I know you ain't threatening her?

Nah Legend it ain't shit like that.

LEGEND!!! what the hell are you doing Lauren asked him as she came out the store, this my job put that nigga down before they call the police on yo stupid ass.

Legend slowly let him down and all three of them didn't even go into the store, instead they got back in Lamar's car and quickly pulled off.

What yo ass even doing here.

I had to bring you this key.

Well give it to me and move around nigga.

I watched as Legend gave Lauren a key then she went back inside.

Where you on yo way too?

Who me?

Nah the mf behind you.

Like a damn idiot I actually turned around to look.

Man are you slow? I'm talking to yo ass.

Oh I said actually feeling slow as hell.

I'm going back to my room a few blocks over.

Get in I'll drop you off.

I looked around for a minute then walked over and got in the passenger side of his car.

It's straight up the street a few blocks to the left.

He backed out the spot he was in and headed to the motel I was staying at. It literally took us less than 5 minutes to get there.

This where you stay he asked giving me a dirty look.

Yea, it's temporary and all I can afford. Just tryna save up my bread then I'll find a better spot.

All he did was shook his head.

Is Lauren your girl?

I don't know what the hell made me ask him that but it was too late to take it back because I had already said it.

Nah, that's my mama best friend daughter, she like a little cousin to me.

All I could say was oh.

Thanks for the ride... again I told him getting ready to get out the car.

So that was you that one night at the gas station.

Yea.

I hope yo little ass making better decisions than whatever ones you were previously making that made a nigga do yo face like that.

I am I assured him.

Good. Learn to defend yourself or something. If a mf think you weak they gone try you every time.

I gave him a faint smile then got out his car. He pulled off and I went into my room. Something about him was different this time. He didn't seem like the rude arrogant guy I had previous encounters with. I found myself just sitting there thinking about him.

Absolutely not Hope, get that man out your head. I said to myself. But it was like no matter how much I tried I just couldn't. When I did that stuff to Steven that night he was the one who made sure I got somewhere safe. And now here we are months later and he was there to look out for me again. It was just something about him and I had the slightest clue what it was.