40

Max didn't get any sleep the entire night and Daniella only got a few hours. Both tried to call and text each other, to talk and apologize but their ego didn't let them.

During the pre-race events, Max kept stealing glances at Daniella, hoping she would at least look at him once to figure out if she is still angry but Daniella dared not to look at him, thinking that she would be met with a cold glare.

"Carlos keeps looking at you," Sophie Leclerc said as she came and stood beside Daniella. "I think he likes you."

"What?" Daniella absentmindedly said as her full focus was on ignoring Max.

"Carlos is looking at you," Sophie repeated and nudged her to get her attention.

Daniella looked at the direction Sophie was looking at and was caught off guard. Carlos was indeed looking at her, but instead of looking away he smiled at her.

Daniella shot him back a polite smile before looking away, hoping Max didn't witness it. She immediately turned to look at Max but he was not looking at her, although his expression almost confirmed he did witness it.

"I think he likes you," Sophie said, regaining Daniella's attention.

"No, I don't think so," Daniella shook her head. "Max and I are just friends."

"Max?" Sophie got confused. "No, I am not talking about Max. I am talking about Carlos."

Usually, Daniella would have dismissed it, believing it not to be true, but Carlos did try to ask her out two days ago and yesterday Max thought something was going on, and now Sophie also thinks the same. She is not sure how to feel about it.

"He is just a friendly guy," Daniella politely replied, not wanting to talk about it.

***

"Virtual safety car Dani," Nate informed her. "Sainz is out of the race."

Daniella felt bad for the Ferrari driver but she has her own race to worry about. She lost positions at the starting and is now stuck behind Daniel.

"I think we should box now," Daniella suggested.

"Negative, you will lose position," Nate responded. "It's vital that you move past the McLarens first."

"Okay," Daniella reluctantly replied. She wanted to box now and try to manage her tyres till the end, she was confident about it and was sure would be able to overtake her way up. But apparently, the team doesn't feel the same.

After a lap, the team felt like her decision was right.

"Okay, box Dani," Nate said as she was moving closer to the pit lane.

Daniella smirked under her helmet and went inside the pit lane, the team quickly changed her tyres. She came out in front of Mick and at P12.

***

"Who is next?" Daniella said as she overtook the Alfa Romeo of Valtteri and moved up to P8.

"Next will be George."

"What is that Williams doing in the top ten?" Daniella sarcastically mumbled. She is certain he is going to be a challenge but to her surprise, he didn't put up much of a fight, maybe because he didn't want to risk losing his tires.

Daniella easily overtook him.

"Is that Max?" Daniella asked when she drove past the Red Bull that was stopped at the side of the track and once again the virtual safety car was out.