Fragile* Part One

I sat in the middle of a gorgeous cafe. Burgundy curtains surrounded the quaint French-style restaurant. Bottles of wine were on full display behind the bar. I'm glad I decided to dress up for this meeting. Well, it's not exactly a meeting. It's a date. A...blind date. I don't like the sound of that. Do blind dates ever have a happy ending? I've never heard of any. Anyway, this wasn't my idea. A friend of mine insisted I'd meet this new doctor. I finally ran out of excuses so here I am.

I checked the time. Hmm...he's late. Already a bad sign. How long do you normally give them in these situations? It's a good thing I ordered a glass of wine. I needed something to calm my nerves.

I kept glancing at the entrance which consisted of two glass doors. It's not because I'm eager to meet him. I just want the stares to stop. I look like someone who just got stood up. And maybe I did. I'll give him five more minutes.

Someone stormed into the restaurant, almost falling over. What an idiot. He is talking to the hostess. Why is she pointing at me?

He's walking in my direction. Wait. He's tall. Very tall. He is wearing small round glasses and has black spiky hair. Just how my friend described. It was him...my blind date.

"Sorry I'm late...My shift just ended." He apologized while scratching the back of his head. He took a seat in front of me.

If he had to work then why didn't he schedule our date for another night? Bad sign number two.

"Nice to meet you. It's Leorio...right?" I reached out to shake his hand.
"Yep. And you are (Y/N)?" He shook my hand.

I nod. He's cute. And he smells really good. Let's see where this goes.

An hour passed and he was still talking about himself. He's had four glasses of wine. I've learned that besides being a doctor, he is also a hunter. He told me he drove a Mercedes-Benz and lived in a ritzy apartment. Like any of those things matter to me. He's nice, but we have nothing in common.

He ordered us dessert and another glass of wine. Our attention was turned to the entrance of the restaurant. There seemed to be some commotion going on outside. A man was thrown to the ground, face first, and handcuffed. Seconds later, we heard loud sirens. The criminal was arrested. The officer who had handcuffed the criminal walked inside of the restaurant. Except...he wasn't in uniform. He was wearing a suit. I stared. Not because I was being nosy, but because this man is...captivating. Did my jaw just drop? He was talking to the hostess. Leorio stood up. Did he notice me checking out this guy? No, he didn't. It appears he knows this mysterious man.

"Kurapika!" he yelled while waving.

Leorio knew him. Oh no...he's walking to our table. My mouth is still open. I'm probably drooling, but I can't seem to snap out of it. Leorio is cute, but this guy is...gorgeous. He's blonde and has the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen.

"Good evening, Leorio."

His voice is euphonious.

"What are you doing here?" Leorio asked.
"I came in to apologize for the disruption outside."
"Yeah, we saw how you caught that guy. Great job!"
"It's just a normal day. What are you doing here? I thought you were working tonight."
"I'm on my date! Meet (Y/N)! (Y/N)...meet Kurapika. He's my best friend and roommate."

Leorio's friend turned to look at me. I stood up. He reached to shake my hand. What is happening to me? I only had two glasses of wine so why does it feel like I'm about to topple over? He shook my hand. His grip is strong, yet gentle. He smiled at me.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, (Y/N)."
"You...you as well, Kurapika."

I felt disappointed when he released my hand. He turned his attention back to Leorio.