Beautiful Lies*

Darkness surrounded me as I ran to the pavilion. I don't think he heard my footsteps through the rain. He most likely wanted to be alone, but I didn't care. I had to tell him. These feelings have been locked inside of me for too long.

The roof of the pavilion protected the two of us from the storm. I caught my breath before walking closer.

"Kurapika?"

He lit a cigarette.

"Kurapika?"

He turned around and jumped back when he saw me.

"(Y/N)?" What are you doing here?"

I took a deep breath and marched closer to him.

"Kurapika, I..."

He put out his cigarette. He stared at me with furrowed brows. "(Y/N), what's wrong?"

I stared at the beautiful blonde man in front of me. The lights surrounding the pavilion casted an orange glow around his features.

I decided to take my chance. No speeches, no cliche lines.

"Kurapika, I love you." Tears replaced the raindrops as they fell down my cheeks.

A look of shock crossed his face.

He didn't respond. Instead, he hung his head and closed his eyes.

"Kurapika?"

He lifted his head back up. He looked at me, expressionless.

"(Y/N), I'm sorry. I'm taken."

My heart sank to my stomach.

He walked past me, leaving me alone. I watched as he allowed the rain to soak him.

I fell to the ground. He didn't look back at me. Not once.

Two months later

I've been successful at avoiding Kurapika. I even went as far as to stop spending time with our mutual friends. That is, until tonight.

Leorio begged me to attend the city's awards ceremony.

"C'mon, (Y/N). I'm getting an award for performing a difficult surgery and saving that kid's life. You have to be there," Leorio says.

I take a deep breath through the phone. "Fine. But get me a seat in the back, okay?"

After listening to Leorio squeal in excitement for thirty seconds, I end the call.

I push myself off my bed and walk to my closet. I find my favorite red strapless dress and decide that's what I'm wearing tonight.

I walk through the doors of the hotel lobby. Anxiety rises to my chest as a crowd of people walk past me. A nice old man helps me find my seat.

I want to leave as soon as Leorio receives his award, but I decide it's best to congratulate him in person. He did do something meaningful, after all.

I straighten my dress and walk to the bar to meet him.

"Hey, (Y/N)!" Leorio says. "Have a drink. It's on me."

He pulls out a seat for me. Gon, Killua, and Alluka are all sitting down.

"(Y/N)! I didn't think I'd see you here." says Alluka.

Her smile is contagious. I smile back at her, feeling at ease. I've missed my friends so much.

I figure Kurapika left as soon as the ceremony ended so I decide to make the best of the night. After one glass of plum wine, I get up to excuse myself to the lady's room.