Shelter in the Prince* An AU Story

I received a request to write Kurapika as a prince and (Y/N) as a princess.

Warning: Angst, rape, and suicide

Shelter in the Prince* An AU Story

I look down at my hands. Warm red fluid covers them. Blood. Where is it coming from? And...does it belong to me?

The wind blows through my hair as I soar through the night sky. I rest my cheek against the scales of my beautiful dragon. Without her, I'd still be stuck inside that miserable castle.

After my parents, the King and Queen, invaded the Kingdom of Kurtacia, I planned my escape. I ripped my luxurious gowns to make them appear shabby. I pulled the hundred pins from my hair, shaking my locks free. Finally...no more headache. If I'm going to live the life of a peasant, I must look the part.

My dragon flew me as far away from my castle as she could. I can see the sun rise in the distance, changing the color of the sky to a deep shade of orange. Once she felt tired, she landed in a forest.

"Go on. Go...be free. I'll be fine. I promise." I say to her as I stroke the side of her face.

I can see the tears falling from her large pink eyes. She's the most faithful dragon a girl could ever wish for.

I feel my own tears falling down my cheeks as I watch her fly away. It's just me now.

I walk to a rather peculiar town. Peasants scurry about, placing goods on display to sell. The smell of freshly baked bread fills my nose. My stomach growls, reminding me it's time for breakfast. I'm suddenly aware I had servants back at home who brought me my meals. How does one go about getting food for themselves?

I keep walking, studying people as they purchase food. I wait in line, mimicking them.

"Good morning. What would you like?" the woman behind the stand says.
"I...uh...nevermind," I say.

My heart rate accelerates as I run away. I look back once I catch my breath. She continues to help others as if nothing ever happened. Why do I feel so scared? It's only another human...so why can't I simply talk to her?

I walk in the other direction. I decide to do without breakfast.

Children play while their parents shop. It brings a smile to my face knowing they are free to play with whoever they choose.

"Shall I help you with something?" a man behind me says.

I freeze. For a moment, I think about running away, finding my dragon, and going back home.
"Miss?" he says when I don't acknowledge him.

I take a deep breath. If I'm going to make it on my own, I need to be brave. I turn around, jumping back when our eyes meet. I never knew a man wearing tattered clothing could look this beautiful. His long, golden-hair is tied behind his head. He furrows his brow as he glares at me with his gray flying saucer eyes.

"Do you speak?" he says.

"Hmph." I scowl. How dare he insult me? "Of course I speak. Do you not know who I am?"

He shakes his head. "No." He extends his hand. "Please forgive me. I'm sorry if I've offended you. You appear lost."

I stare at his hand in front of me. What does he expect me to do with it? I take a step back and bow.

"You are forgiven."

He drops his hand to his side. "Are you new in town or just passing by?"

I bite my lip. "I...uh...don't know yet."

He stretches his arm behind his head. I watch as his muscles flex from beneath his shirt. "I see. You wish to remain mysterious. I respect that."

I study him, trying to find an imperfection. "What is your name?"