Voices* (Kurapika x Male Reader)

"(Y/N), put the knife down. Let's talk about this."

I feel the sharp cold blade against my throat. You're on top of me, putting me at a disadvantage.

"No, Kurapika. You don't understand." Tears fall down your cheeks and drop from your chin. "They are making me do this."

___

One year earlier...

Another auction. Seriously, how much of this shit...excuse me...junk does Neon need? I shouldn't use profanity, however, I'm getting rather sick of attending these auctions. Not to mention the shopping trips.

I lean down to my colleague's height. "Melody, cover for me. I'll be right back."

"Of course, Kurapika. Take all the time you need," Melody says.

I leave my colleagues to watch over Neon. I walk across the hotel lobby to the bar. I saw you walk in moments ago. I can't miss the opportunity to introduce myself to you.

I stop a few feet from the bar. You're alone. I take a deep breath, summoning the courage to talk to you. This is ridiculous. I'm an adult. A hunter. Why does this feel like the greatest challenge I've ever faced?

I take a seat on the barstool next to you. You glance at me and return your attention to your drink.

"Excuse me?" I raise my hand, hoping the bartender heard me.

He walks toward me, wiping the counter. "What can I get you?"

I clear my throat. I've seen Leorio do this a thousand times. "Uh...I'll have whatever this gentleman is having." I motion toward you. "And while you're at it, please make him another one."

"Sure thing."

You look at me, furrowing your brow. "Thank you?"

"You're welcome." I extend my arm to you. "My name's Kurapika." I search my brain for a pickup line I've heard Leorio use. "Uh...do you have a name, or can I already call you Mine?"

You stare at my hand then at me. A confused look crosses your face.

I slap my forehead. Why did I say that? None of those cheesy lines ever worked for Leorio.

"I apologize. I don't have any experience in this department," I say.

"What department?"

The bartender returns with our drinks. I leave enough jenny bills on the counter to cover the cost.

"Nevermind." I chug my drink. "Mm...this is good. What is it?"

You take a sip from your drink. "It's just sake mixed with Yakult."

"I'll have to remember that." I finish my drink and hop off the stool. "Enjoy the rest of your drink."

I turn to leave. I feel your hand on my shoulder.

"Why are you leaving so soon?"

I slowly turn back around. "You want me to...stay?"

You smile. "Isn't that why guys buy each other drinks? To talk and stuff?"

I sit back down. "And stuff?"

"Yeah. We get drunk then go back up to one of our hotel rooms." You order us another round of drinks. "I'm (Y/N), by the way."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, (Y/N)." I make another attempt to shake your hand. "Sorry about the awkward introduction earlier."

You shake my hand. "Don't worry about it. I was kinda flattered. No one has ever tried to pick me up before."