The Best Man*

Wow...this is my fortieth Kurapika x Reader story! Thank you to all who take the time to read my stories! You give me the motivation to continue writing. I appreciate all of you.

Warning: Heavy angst

I shut my eyes as soon as I open them. The sunlight shining through the window exacerbates my throbbing headache. I groan as I pull the covers over my head. I sprawl out on my bed, feeling someone else sleeping next to me. I turn to my side and notice my best friend sleeping soundly.

What is he doing in my bed? The suite we booked has enough bedrooms for the four of us.

Killua stomps into my room making more noise than necessary.

"Why are you two still sleeping?" Killua says.

I slowly sit up in bed, rubbing my temples. "Uh...good morning...what happened last night?"

He gives me a puzzled look. "Wait...you don't remember?"

I shake my head. "I'm afraid I don't."

Leorio groans as he stirs awake. "Why are you two talking so loudly?"

Killua grabs a pillow and throws it at Leorio.

"Ow...what the hell was that for?" Leorio says.

Killua crosses his arms over his chest. "You two need to get out of bed. Isn't today your big day, old man?"

Leorio jolts out of bed. "Damn...you're right! What time is it?" He looks at his surroundings. "And why am I in Kurapika's room?"

Killua gives us a devilish smile. "Do you two remember anything from last night?"

Leorio and I shake our heads in unison. "Uh-uh," we say.

He holds his abdomen while laughing. "Today is going to be fun."

Leorio stumbles his way to the door. "I don't have time for your games, Killua. First things first, I gotta get rid of this hangover. I feel like shit."

I press my palm against my forehead. The room spins around me. "You and I both," I say.

"Stay put...I'll be right back with some medicine," Leorio says as he leaves.

Killua follows him out of my room. I fall back on the bed. I'm never drinking again.

My mind wanders while I wait for Leorio to return. It's been six months since I've seen you. They say time heals all wounds...but I can't help but think about the way you left me. You blamed me for what happened. Maybe you're right. Maybe I was at fault. But...did I deserve to lose you...forever? My heart starts to ache. I wipe away tears I didn't know were forming with the back of my hand.

We were supposed to attend Leorio's wedding as a couple; however, you broke up with me shortly after we received our wedding invitation. Leorio offered to rescind your invitation, but I told him that wouldn't be fair to you. Afterall, you are the bride's best friend and her maid of honor. We met through her and Leorio.

Leorio walks back into the room attached to an IV pole. A bag of fluids hangs from it.

I furrow my brow. "Where did you get that?" I say.

"I'm marrying a pharmacist, remember? Don't worry. I got one for you."

I watch as he opens a few medical supplies. My eyes widen when I see him holding a large needle.

"What do you plan on doing with that?" I say.

He grabs my arm. "I gotta start an IV on you. How else are you going to get these fluids?"