You're Enough For Me*

I received a request to write a story with a cat and a little kid in it. I hope you enjoy what I came up with!

Red used to be my favorite color. To me, it symbolizes love and courage. Above all, it reminds me of my husband's beautiful scarlet eyes. However, as I sit here, I realize the color red has a lot of negative meanings. It conveys danger and rage. It is also the color of fire and...blood. The blood that I am wiping away, reminding me of my failure. My failure to conceive.

Kurapika and I have been married for two years now. We both wanted to start a family right away. He's excited about repopulating his clan. This thing is...it's not happening for us. What's frustrating is the doctors keep telling me everything is fine with us. There's no medical reason why we can't conceive naturally.

I'm not opposed to IVF. Kurapika and I have talked about it before. It's not the cost that's an issue. We can easily afford it with his hunter's salary. He just prefers not to use science. He believes it will happen when it's meant to.

This is usually when I crawl on the floor. I hug my knees and allow myself to cry. Month after month, like clockwork, I get my period then spend the next hour crying in the bathroom. Kurapika gives me time alone before walking in to hold me.

Every month I swear to myself I won't cry, but here I am. Crying into my husband's shoulder while we sit on the cold tile floor.

"(Y/N), everything is going to be fine. It will happen next month," Kurapika says, running his fingers through my hair.

I've lost count of how many times he has said that to me. I know it kills him, too. He wants a baby just as much as I do.

He picks me up and eases me on our bed. "What would you like to eat? I'll make you whatever you want."

I pull at a piece of thread from the blanket. "I'm not hungry."

He sighs. "(Y/N), you have to eat. A healthy diet is important for conception."

I'm tired of hearing him tell me what's important for conception. I've read all the books.

"Kurapika, I'm not hungry! Just get out of here."

He jumps back. I didn't mean to yell at him. He's just trying to help. Great, now I feel worse.

"I...I'm sorry. I'll leave you alone. If you change your mind, you know where to find me."

He closes the door behind him. I bury my face into a pillow. I've put so much stress on him. He's always busy with work, which is stressful enough. He has canceled missions a few times just because I was ovulating. He's so close to his goal of retrieving the eyes of his clan, but I feel like I'm holding him back. I've been such a terrible wife.

I pull the blanket off and get out of bed. I find Kurapika in his office, doing research. He spins his chair around when he notices me.

"Hey, my love. Feeling better?"
I sit on his lap. "Not really. I just feel bad for yelling at you."

He offers me a soft smile. "No need to apologize. Do you want to talk about it?"

I shake my head. "No. Not really." I motion toward his computer screen. "Making any progress?"

He pulls the chair closer to his desk so I can get a better view of the monitor. "Yes. I actually am." He points to a map on the screen. "There's a place in this area that holds promise. The only problem is it is a very restrictive area. With my license, I am allowed to go; however, only during certain days." He looks at me with sadness in his eyes.

I furrow my brow. "So? Go. What's holding you back?"

He looks back at the screen. "The dates always fall on the times when you're ovulating."