Stay Alive for Me* (Kurapika x Female Reader)

Trigger warning: Mention of suicide

You are sitting in class, chewing your pencil while staring at the clock on the wall.

"I wish it would just ring already," you say to yourself.

A few seconds later, the bell rings. You jump out of your seat and throw your bag over your shoulder.

You accidentally bump into another student in the hallway.

"Oh, sorry about that." You notice she's one of the popular girls.

She straightens out her uniform. "I'm fine. What's the rush?"

"Today's my eighteenth birthday...I have a feeling my mom is planning something special for me."

She looks up at you. "Oh...I know you. We have the same class for third period."
"Oh...you're right!"
"Yeah. You're the weird girl who sits all the way in the back, right?"
"I...um...guess so," you say, stepping backwards.
"Good thing you sit back there. Nobody likes you."

You play with the hem of your uniform skirt. "Oh...well...I should get going."

You turn around to leave the building. You hold your abdomen in an attempt to stop the knots from forming. You usually feel them before walking into school; however, your recent interaction with another student leaves you feeling uneasy.

You think you might throw up before entering the train station. You take a few deep breaths.

"Thank goodness...false alarm," you say.

You pull out the rail pass from your wallet. You patiently wait in line for the train to arrive.

You find one empty seat on the train and sit down.

This is your favorite part of the day. You love knowing you're going home, a place you call your safezone. You also enjoy the magnificent scenery on the way home. You see a variety of buildings and trees full of cherry blossoms.

Once you step out of the train, you run the rest of the way to your house.

"Hi, mom! I'm home!" you call out as you take off your shoes.

To your surprise, the house is quiet. You furrow your brow as you walk to the kitchen. The lights are out. There's no sign of a birthday cake anywhere.

"Is it possible she forgot?"

You walk to your bedroom. Your jaw drops when you see that the room has been emptied. Your futon is neatly folded in the corner and all of your belongings are stored in boxes.

"What's going on?"

The knots in your stomach multiply as you walk around the house. You hear the screen door open in the back. You run to find out who it is.

"What are you doing here?" your stepfather asks you.
"I...umm...where's mom? Is she out getting my birthday present?"

He wears a stern look on his face. "Your birthday present? Hmph. Didn't you see your room?"

"Yeah. Why is it empty?"

"Because you don't live here anymore."

You crinkle your forehead. "Uh...what do you mean?"

"I've been counting down the days until you turned eighteen," he says with a sly smile.

You take a step back. Your heart rate increases. "But...why?"

He walks closer to you. "You're an adult now. You can finally leave."

"But...I haven't finished highschool yet."