Cemetery Walks Part Two

Trigger warning: mention of suicide

Knowing you are about to be killed is terrifying. Knowing you are about to be tortured is unendurable. All you can do is beg for death. That's what I remember the most from the massacre.

I squirm on the ground as the flashbacks keep flooding my brain. Why am I reliving this moment?

"(Y/N)!" Kurapika shouts.
"Kurapika...please...make it stop. The threads are cutting my skin,"
"What threads? There's nothing there!"

I hear Kurapika's panicked voice as I feel the pain. I manage to get up on my knees. I hold my face in my hands. Warm blood trickles down my arms.

"They're pulling my eyes out! Please...tell them to stop!"

I feel Kurapika grab my arms. He pulls my hands away from my face. I can't see him. I can't see anything...only darkness.

"(Y/N)...your eyes...they're gone!" he shouts as he presses my head against his chest. "I'm going to make it stop...I promise."

Kurapika runs his fingers through my hair. I can feel his rapid breaths.

The pain is fading away. My vision slowly returns. I can see Kurapika. His beautiful face is stained with my blood. As I stare into his scarlet eyes, I am reminded of my purpose. I know why I'm always here and why I can't ever leave. I'm dead. I was only brought back to give Kurapika a message.

"Kurapika...I need you to listen to what I'm about to say."

He places his hands on either side of my head.

"Your eyes...they're back...thank goodness!"

"Kurapika! Listen to me!"
"Right...what do you need to tell me?"
"We don't blame you for the massacre. Your mother wants you to stop spending all of your time visiting us. She wants you to live a full life."
"But it was my fault. I never told anyone about the woman we rescued. And those villagers...they witnessed my eyes turn scarlet."
"Stop it, Kurapika!" I shout as I pound my fist on the ground. "Stop looking for ways to blame yourself for what happened."

Kurapika stares at nothing as he tries to comprehend what I just told him.

"Wait...I'm confused...if you're a Kurta, why don't I remember you?"
"My parents and I were the last to join the clan. Neither of us possess scarlet eyes."

Kurapika turns his head to look at my tombstone.

"You were born in 1976...which means you were eighteen when it happened."
"Right. And since I'm dead...I'm still eighteen."

He presses his forehead against mine.

"I'm sorry," he says.
"Stop apologizing! My soul won't rest until you stop blaming yourself!"

Kurapika grabs my hand and gives it a tight squeeze.

"But...I love you. I don't want you to go away."
"Kurapika...I'm dead."

He's quiet for a few seconds.

"What if I were to die?" he asks, almost a whisper.

I pull away from him. "What are you trying to say?"

"There is a Nen dagger residing in my heart. All I need to do is break my contract."
"No, Kurapika."
"Are you not in love with me anymore?"

Tears well up in my eyes. "Of course I am. That's why I can't let you kill yourself."

Kurapika stands up. "There's nothing in this world for me. When I come home at night, there's no one there to welcome me. It's lonely."

"What about your friends? Won't they miss you?"
"Yes. However, they are all busy with their own lives. They'll understand."