A Child?

Kai ran down the alleyway, no no no not again! Things began to look fuzzy, and he was getting drowsy, The lavender gas... No! He was so close! No! 'Someone... Anyone... Help me!'

The man behind him's footsteps got louder and louder. Echoing off the walls coming closer and closer to him.

Kai's bare feet were aching, scratching, and bleeding slightly against the concrete. The sun glaring down on them, the walkway on fire. Sweat dripped down his forehead and his side felt like it had been stabbed, there was a tight feeling in his left leg but he couldn't stop running.

He had to keep going. His breathing was short and the ground was swaying underneath him, he began feeling nauseous but he had to keep going.

The man's voice rang in his head like a bell, 'Kai~' Again and again and again, 'Kai~' Louder, and louder, and louder, and louder, 'Kai~' He knew that the man had a telepathy quirk, but was this him actually speaking? Or just a memory of his voice? Kai couldn't tell anymore. He just wanted to get away. He had to get away.

Just as he left the alleyway he ran face first into another man. Green hair, green eyes, pale skin. Wearing a strange outfit that Kai couldn't quite make out.

He took in rapid breaths and looked up at him, his hands were burning. 'Woah I'm sorry. That was quite the fall there are you okay?' The man asked, there was a woman who looked like Poltergeist but instead of blue hair with a black outfit, she had a blue outfit with purple hair.

When the man reached out Kai couldn't help but envision Chronos' hand. Horn aglow, the pads on his gloves and that strange string curling around his arm and horn lighting up with that ominous yellow shine. Red eyes staring down at him disdainfully. Chronos' hand reached out to him, not this man's. He flinched and brought his hands to his chest.

His hands, his hands were cursed. He was a curse. The man chasing after him said it every day. 'I always have to get my hands dirty because of your curse.'

He knew he should be grateful for the roof over his head and the family he'd been given, but everything in his heart and soul told him to run. No, he couldn't spend too much time with this man. He had to get away.

'Help me, help me, help me. No help me please.' He thought, staring up at the man who stared at him with a strange emotion he had never seen before. It looked like a mix of what he usually felt, and that hostile emotion he's seen in other people's eyes.

'Uh- Can I... Help you up?' He asked and put his hands underneath Kai's arms. He whimpered and started shaking, avoiding touching him at all costs. 'Why is he trembling like that?' The man thought to himself.

'You should be more careful.' A voice said. High in pitch but deep in tone, 'Don't want to cause trouble for the heroes.'

The woman's eyes widened. 'This guy couldn't be...'

The man stared at him, fearfully and angrily, Kai recognized that emotion. Hostile and cold, but the first one he couldn't name. Even though he felt it every second of his life. 'The guy Endeavor warned us about.'

~

'You two.'

Phantom Arrow and Cipher turned to their new boss, 'Yes sir!'

'I want you two to go on patrol in Sector Five. I'll take six, seven, and eight.'

'Yes sir!'

Cipher turned to Phantom Arrow, 'Can you believe this? It's a dream come true dude! We made it. We're heroes!'

Phantom Arrow nodded his head, 'But we can't get too excited. Not yet at least, for now, we've got a mission. Well, not really a mission, just patrol. But we can think of it like a mission.'

'Oh and be careful. There's a pretty dangerous guy 'round those parts. Only see him sometimes and he appears in other places. All we know is there's a pitchfork on his neck and there's usually some ghostly looking guy tailing him. So be careful, and if you see him: Get out of there quickly. And report to me immediately.'