Even if just once

Fun Fact: Poltergeist watches Anime (His favorite is currently Dr. Stone, he really likes science)

~

Eri didn't stop trying to make Kai smile. She wanted to see him happy, just once. That's all she wanted.

She sighed and jumped off her bed, holding her little bear. 'Where is Papa anyway? He can't be asleep he would've come and said goodnight.' She thought. 'Is he with Papi maybe?'

'Papa?' She called. She had a question. Where was he? 'Papa!'

'Yes, Eri?' Kai asked, picking her up from behind. 'What's up Lil' Bit?'

'You said something about a bad man! Who is it?' She asked. Her hair had gotten longer in time, and she was much more energetic when they first met.

'The... Uh, bad man is my father.' He said. She noticed his mood change and started tugging on his cheeks. 'Ah- Eri what are you doing?' He asked, pulling her hands away.

'I want to see you smile.' She said sadly, 'I really really wanna see you smile.'

Kai sighed, 'I'm sorry Eri I don't know how... I'm trying, I'm really trying.'

Eri hugged him, 'I love you.'

'I love you too Eri, I do.' He should probably warn her at least. 'Hey Eri, I'm gonna tell you something, but I don't want you to tell anyone else. Unless it's Hari you can tell Hari because he knows.'

Eri nodded, holding her bear tightly. What was he going to tell her? Kai carried her back to her room, closed the door, and laid down on the bed with her, holding her hand. 'Eri, I'm going to do some pretty bad things to you. I'm not sure when it's going to happen, but it will.'

'What's going to happen?' She asked fearfully.

'The less you know the better. I'll explain more when it starts happening, okay? I promise. But you're just gonna have to wait.' He said, 'I'm so sorry for everything that's going to happen. But I can't help it, it's inevitable.'

'What's inevitable mean?' She asked.

'I can't stop it from happening. The only way to stop it is if my Father dies or... Or if I die.'

Eri panicked and hugged her adoptive father tightly, her bear in between them. 'No! Please don't die... I love you.' She cried, 'Please don't die like Daddy did...'

Kai opted out of telling her that if he had to he would more than willingly die for her if it was for her safety. 'Okay Eri. I won't.' He said, stroking her hair gently. 'I won't, for you, and for Hari. Okay?'

Eri nodded, 'Thank you.'

Kai felt her heartbeat slow down, she was calming down. Eri smiled, as long as he was alive she was happy. 'Eri.' Kai said, getting her attention.

She looked up and gasped her smile widening. Kai was smiling! He was actually smiling!

Kai smiled at her, he wished Hari could be here to see him smile for the first time in years. 'You should rest, Eri.'

She nodded, 'Okay, goodnight.' She smiled.

'Goodnight Eri.'